PAWS Orientation for Volunteer Applicants - Aug. 22, 2009

Posted by siyerwin on Wednesday, August 19, 2009 at 4:29 PM

For advocates who have been waiting, here's your chance to learn more what you can do to help out in the Philippine animal welfare cause. Attend the volunteer applicant orientation on Saturday, August 22, 2009 from 10 AM to 1 PM. Venue will be at the PAWS Animal Rehabilitation Center in Quezon City (Map Here)

For those who have not mailed in their PAWS volunteer application form, kindly download it, fill it up and hand-carry it to the venue.

This will be a good chance for you to meet the cats and dogs up for adoption at the PAWS shelter. We have over 200 rescue cats and dogs currently at the shelter and it is not easy to find homes for them. We need more people to help spread the word and educate people that pets are a lifetime commitment, not a passing fancy or something that you discard when things go a little rough.

Unfortunately, I've been receiving a number of correspondences from people that view animal shelters as places where they can abandon their pets. You may see such requests in the comments section of this blog. If you see some of them and can count them, you multiply that number by 5 and you can see how much email and comments I get (I don't publish all of them) from people trying to get rid of their pets. Multiply that by another 5 and you could probably have a rough estimate of how much PAWS is getting.

I will be making a rant/post about this in upcoming days/week.

CARA Cat Adoption Event - Aug. 22, 2009

Compassion and Responsibility for Animals (CARA) will be putting up a cat adoption booth at the Bonifacio High Street, The Fort, in front Coffee Bean Cafe from 4 to 9 PM. For those who are interested in adopting homeless animals and are near (or even far) the area, you may want to check out that event. Hope you bring home a kitty or two.

1. 5 comments: Responses to “ PAWS Orientation for Volunteer Applicants - Aug. 22, 2009 ”

2. By Marla on Aug 20, 2009, 11:47:00 AM

Sherwin, I've seen the comments here on your blog about people wanting to give up their pets. It's sad.

Many feel they can leave their dogs & cats at the shelter when: they have too many, are too lazy, are too busy and/or cannot afford to keep them in hard times. To those people, please read up on PET ABANDONMENT and SPAY/NEUTER. (Liza and Sherwin has blogged about these 2 subjects already). There are already a lot of unwanted and/or abused dogs and cats at the shelter, some who need even more help and who have been waiting for their forever homes for a long time.

The shelter is not a dumping ground for unwanted pets. In fact, it has limited funds, limited space and limited volunteers.

To those thinking about leaving their pets at the shelter, please think again and do your part by asking your friends and family members to help provide responsible loving homes for your pets if you really cannot provide for them. Like Sherwin has written, pets are a lifetime commitment.

PS: Sherwin, I changed the viewing access of my PAWS Dogs for Adoption album in multiply for privacy reasons. Everyone can now view some of the dogs/cats for adoption at http://pawsadoption.multiply.com

3. By ilovedogs on Aug 27, 2009, 1:34:00 PM

i feel you bro. iv read some of the comments and it does not fail to annoy me. they should have offered help, NOT ADD MORE BURDEN TO CARRY.

by the way, do you have an office in cebu? i really like to help. it's not much, but it's what my heart is willing to give and who knows if better paying na un job ko, id be a better donor too.hehe

4. By Victoria on Sep 10, 2009, 5:15:00 PM

Sayang! I only missed the last orientation by a couple of weeks! I've been interested in applying for become a volunteer for some time, would you know when the next orientation would be?

And I'm sorry if there are those who've completely missed the point of PAWS as a place to find pets a home instead of being a dumpsite for them. It's hard to believe anybody could just abandon a living thing without a second thought.

5. By Denise Wood on Oct 2, 2009, 10:27:00 AM

This is such a great blog, so much information on it.

6. By Anonymous on Oct 5, 2009, 5:51:00 PM

how about the poor animals? ano po bang magagawa natin para sa mga animals na naging victims din po ng bagyong ondoy? lahat po nakatutok sa pagsagip at pagtulong sa mga tao..paano na lang po ang mga hayop na inaabandona ng kanilang mga lumikas na family? they are left to die from hunger and cold. maraming nawalay sa kanilang mga owners and some unfortunately die.. what can we do to help them? they also need rescue and help. please don't take them forgranted. many animal esp dogs are in need of help today. they were too a victim of typhoon ondoy.