PAWS and Purina TV Campaign: Homeless, Not Worthless

Posted by siyerwin on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 at 7:08 PM

The following are two TV pet commercials that are quite different from what we are used to seeing. You will see no fluffy and well-groomed cat or dog in these clips. What you'll see are a couple scenes that play out countless of times per day out there in the streets. They're a very familiar sight but not many see them. I'm hoping that after watching the clips on TV, viewers will start seeing and feeling more for our homeless animals. There is heartache in the streets as you read this.

URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VexUzglGJ-U

URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWCSlAfqEJc

Please help us spread the word about this campaign and blog about these videos!

Embed code for dog version of PAWS-Purina Homeless, Not Worthless TV Campaign:
Click on the text box, Ctrl+A, Copy & Paste onto your blog editors

Embed code for cat version of PAWS-Purina Homeless, Not Worthless TV Campaign:
Click on the text box, Ctrl+A, Copy & Paste onto your blog editors

What you can do to help the homeless cats and dogs in the streets:

1. Adopt a rescue dog or cat. Experienced animal guardians could also choose to just pick a cat or dog from the street or the pound to rehabilitate. Give the shelter animals a visit!

2. Spay and neuter your pets. Adopting is actually not THE solution. The long term solution to the stray and homeless animals' increasing population is by stopping the ability of the cats and dogs in your community to multiply. Start with your house pets then urge community leaders to do the same for the stray cats and dogs. Contact animal welfare NGOs like PAWS if you want to learn more about this. These organizations usually offer low-cost spay-neuter services to help out with such efforts.

3. Stop buying from pet shops that sell cats and dogs. Adopt a rehabilitated rescue cat or dog instead. Read: 10 good reasons for adopting adult rescue dogs.

4. Teach your family and friends the value of respecting and caring for the animals. Treat your pets like they're family. Stop the vicious cycle by being responsible pet owners or guardians.

5. Volunteer! Join animal welfare organizations that give voice to the animals. Animal welfare organizations are powered by volunteers. And they need more! Read: Things to do as a PAWS volunteer

6. Donate. Animal welfare groups are not funded by the government and they raise the money they need to do their function through donations and through fund-raising activities. You can help animals by helping animal welfare organizations!

Many many thanks to:
Purina
Publicis
Director: Henry Frejas
Producers: Steve Vesagas, Lei Hosseinzade
Production House: FILMEX (Film Experts)
Media Agency: Zenith Optimedia

Here's a nice Business Mirror article about this campaign: Ads of Endearment

"Don't breed or buy while homeless pets die"

1. 19 comments: Responses to “ PAWS and Purina TV Campaign: Homeless, Not Worthless ”

2. By fox on Mar 10, 2009, 7:48:00 PM

i have seen these. it's high time we reach out this far. 'media ' is a very strong tool. at least now, people will no longer see stray cats/dogs per se, there will be meaning and emotion involved.Thank you PURINA! May God return everything a hundredfold.

3. By cat with the fiddle on Mar 12, 2009, 9:18:00 AM

i saw the tvc last night. is the cat in the tvc up for adoption? or maybe others that look very similar in build? we'd like to have one that looks exactly like that. actually, we would like to adopt 2.

4. By ana ;o) on Mar 12, 2009, 1:08:00 PM

hi! cat with fiddle, just visit parc in quezon city and see all the adorable kitties that are looking for their forever home. i'm sure you can find one that has similar coloring and build as that in the tvc.

5. By Anonymous on Mar 12, 2009, 2:46:00 PM

When will the video be available here? I have to watch it. I must and then spread the word. My very good friend from uniteddogs.com, Honey, works at PARC. I hope I can go home to Manila so I can personally visit the shelter. I work in the Visayas and I do my share to help street dogs here and hopefully educate people here on raising and loving and respecting animals.

6. By cat with the fiddle on Mar 12, 2009, 3:38:00 PM

thank you, ana. we'll visit parc within the month. we've been planning to get cats for a while now. are there requirements to comply with? are they spayed/neutered upon adoption?

7. By siyerwin on Mar 12, 2009, 4:25:00 PM

hello, fox, ana, cat with the fiddle and anonymous commenter. Thanks for dropping by!

fox, now i know why my cat loves friskies canned cat food! :)

ana, i still can't believe I'm seeing street cats and dogs on TV commercials!!! :)

cat with the fiddle, yes, all animals adopted out by PAWS should be spayed/neutered. go to my PAWS animal shelter adoption procedure page to read more about it. download the adoption form, fill it up and bring them to the shelter yourself. please don't fax it as we're trying to save on paper and ink.

Anonymous, i tried uploading the video again and now it's working! some youtube bug prevented the first upload from becoming available. weird. I haven't met your friend Honey but I hope to see the both of you at PARC! Thank you for your efforts in giving voice the the animals. Please do keep in touch!

8. By Anonymous on Mar 13, 2009, 6:08:00 AM

So sorry about the anonymous. You can call me by my Uniteddogs username Dob. I'm one of 4 moderator of uniteddogs.com, an online dog community. Do drop by and check out the site. I've been posting threads about PARC and PAWS in our forum trying to get awareness from pinoy members aa well as from members from other countries. Will defintely visit PARC whenever i'm in Manila.

9. By GreenPinas on Mar 14, 2009, 12:27:00 PM

This is one of the best campaigns for animal welfare.

I will support this.

Please visit my blog.

10. By Kron on Mar 19, 2009, 5:50:00 AM

Saw this ad last night.

Sadly, I have been trying to contact PAWS for the last two weeks about cats we rescued since we would like to have them fixed. The best I got was an answering machine last week, but up to now, I did not get a callback.

If you guys know of alternative numbers (except 475-1688) where we can contact PAWS, that would be greatly appreciated. TIA :)

11. By siyerwin on Mar 19, 2009, 4:02:00 PM

Dob! Yes, I know about what you're doing at United Dogs! Thank you very much. I do take a peek at the forum once in a while but am unable to participate as I do tend to concentrate on my other budding online projects when I'm online. I wish you more power at United Dogs. It's a reassuring thought to know that there are advocates in forums like yours that continue to speak out for the animals!

Green Pinas, thanks for your support! great job on your "green" blog!

Kron, will forward your concern to PAWS. I reckon that the PAWS volunteers tasked to do callbacks may just be overwhelmed right now; with an ongoing TV campaign that's sure to result in a flood of calls along with the fact that the lone volunteer vet went on leave. Please send an email to philpaws @ yahoo.com to inquire about when the vet will be available for spay/neuter. Thank you very much for your patience.

12. By Anonymous on Mar 19, 2009, 4:36:00 PM

i want to know is there any animal shelter for cats and dogs here in cavite,because i wanted to help stray cats and dogs,and i have adopted but i cant adopt them all, and i want to give them a home. is there an animal shelter here in in cavite?from imus-to dasmarinas?

13. By Dune Rafael on Mar 20, 2009, 10:04:00 AM

Naiiyak ako sa mga vids... I want to help. *texting PURINA*

14. By selenakyle on Mar 20, 2009, 2:38:00 PM

congratulations on this great campaign! i've posted about the videos and links to your site on my blog and multiply page. as i've posted there, i'm curious as to how the TVCs were made - were these candid shots or were the animals trained actors? ;)

15. By Anonymous on Mar 21, 2009, 11:28:00 AM

Hi! I tear-up really easily and these TV ads really made me cry. My baby Frankie used to be a stray and now we are his family. My sister-cat Tarsi is an apo of Bonggay, a stray my mom adopted a long time ago. My parents just recently adopted another stray dog that kept showing up at their doorstep for food. I wish everyone can experience just how much love and joy this animal-companions can give you. And I wish everyone realizes and takes action on their sad plight. Every single of them deserves to have a home. Bravo to PAWS, to Purina, to this website ... there is a song by The Smiths that goes "oh there is a light and it never goes out, there is a light and it never goes out ..." I believe that PAWS is that kind of light. Bravo, Bravo! (I'm gonna help in my own little way by spreading the word through my blogs and my social networking accounts.) -- Len

16. By Yin on Mar 21, 2009, 6:54:00 PM

love this commercial! after seeing this particular one, i just HAD to get up and lookit up then watch it AGAIN on youtube.

I've been wanting to do volunteer work for PAWS ever since last summer, too bad I became to busy (being a senior and all). HOpefully after I graduate, I can spare a few days off or whatnot to help out.

I love animals. I miss our dogs (most, all except 2, are AsPins) and our cats as well (PusPins) as well.

=D

17. By Kron on Mar 23, 2009, 7:21:00 AM

Thanks siyerwin!

Will shoot them an email as well.

Good to know that :) btw, is it ok to visit PAWS and personally schedule for an appointment ? (just to sechedule an appointment, I will not bring my cats yet). That will also be a great opportunity for us to visit the site as well.

18. By siyerwin on Mar 25, 2009, 12:15:00 AM

anonymous from cavite, i'm not aware of any shelters there. you could join the paws mailing list and ask if someone knows of any shelters there.

Dune Rafael, thanks thanks!!!

catwoman selenakyle, thanks for helping us spread the word!

Len, actually, PAWS is made up of compassionate people like you so I think The Smiths is referring to you as well! thanks for being a refuge to the homeless animals and for spreading the word through your blogs and networking sites!

Yin, thanks. See you at the shelter then! :)

Kron, it's okay to go visit PAWS. I suggest going in the afternoon till 6pm.

19. By fox on Apr 3, 2009, 3:23:00 AM

sori for the late reply sherwin. yeah, my cats and i agree - "WE LOVE FRISKIES". :)

20. By Anonymous on May 14, 2009, 2:54:00 PM

Here's my contribution to spread this noble cause: http://www.flickr.com/photos/botsok/3529800553/