Shelter Feeding Program: A project proposal for animal advocates

Posted by siyerwin on Monday, November 03, 2008 at 8:29 PM

Here's an idea about how we animal advocates can help alleviate the somewhat recurring problem of animal food shortages (especially cat food) at the shelter.

If you have some free time for volunteer work and are looking for something to do then why not participate in what we call the Shelter Feeding Program where we encourage people to visit the shelter to bring home-cooked food for the animals? It can be a great get-together activity for you, your friends and your family and would benefit the shelter cats and dogs in more ways than one:

• They will get a taste of delicious food! A welcome break from the commercial kibble that is the shelter's staple food.

• The shelter animals will get some socialization from their human visitors which would increases their chances of getting picked by adopters.

• Your bringing of food will provide relief to the shelter's resources as it will help stretch the supplies even for just one more day.

What kind of cooked food to bring? Here's our recommendation (Don't worry there's no fancy cooking required):
  • Six (6) kilos of boiled "sawdust" or ground pork (just boiled in plain water, no salt, no seasoning)
  • 1-2 kilos cooked rice (or approximately equivalent to two large rice cooker filled with cooked rice)
and/or
  • Ten (10) kilos of boiled galunggong
  • One (1) huge "kalabasa" or pumpkin - peeled, seeds removed, boiled until soft.
Also please bring detergent/diswashing soap and sponges. We highly recommend a little food-bowl-washing fun to make the experience complete! Food bowls are all cleaned before food is served.

Bring a camera!!! :)

Students from the Chiang Kai-Shek School volunteer for the Shelter Food Program (September 2008). Here they are washing food bowls! I took this picture and I tell you these kids are some of the most efficient bowl-washers I've seen in a long time. They went to the shelter and they meant business!

Here they are preparing the food. They brought rice which they mixed up with some nicely boiled ground meat! A sure treat for the shelter kitties! Yumyum!

The kiddies on their way to the cattery with PAWS Humane Education Program Director Anna Cabrera.

The kitties, sensing the coming visitors and the treats they bring, scramble the welcoming committee, which, basically, is just all of them rushing to the cattery entrance.

Food is served. Check out that one cat standing on her hind legs hoping to get first dibs.

Purr.

If you wish to do this little feeding project, I need to emphasize that you will need to coordinate with PAWS about it. The PAWS shelter is currently running on a (very) skeletal volunteer work force and the schedule of the volunteers who must be there to supervise your feeding project needs to be arranged. Email philpaws @ yahoo. com or call 475-1688 to arrange a nice afternoon with the shelter cats and dogs.

Our past calls for cat food donations have always been answered by kind donors. And though I'm unable to mention all your names here except for Matthew (The 10-year old cat-lover who broke his piggy bank and spent all his savings to donate 30 kg. of cat food), please know that your help means a lot to the animals and not only do they nourish the animals but also continue to inspire and fuel the spirits of other PAWS volunteers and advocates like you.

If you wish to make a cat food or cash donation please visit my donations page.

Thank you very much!

1. 8 comments: Responses to “ Shelter Feeding Program: A project proposal for animal advocates ”

2. By liza on Nov 4, 2008, 2:02:00 AM

Great pics! Great post! :D

Love the fourth pic, the cats all crowding the door in anticipation! *grin*

3. By Chessbuff on Nov 4, 2008, 8:27:00 AM

I love the photos although I think Anna is strong-arming her way to be in front of the line. We'll have to speak to her about it.

I wish my field trips when I was a gradeschooler were to an animal shelter. Back then, our trips were to a dam or reservoir whose name I can't remember anymore. That's how memorable they were.

What a great idea to have school children come to PARC for the day. Sow the seeds early, and let the spirit of animal welfare blossom in their hearts.

4. By fox on Nov 4, 2008, 8:31:00 AM

i can imagine their (cats) excitement...moving their front legs alternately in anticipation..

God bless these kids..

btw, ms. ana looks pretty in this pic too.. :)

5. By siyerwin on Nov 5, 2008, 12:59:00 PM

Liza, thanks! I enjoyed that day as much as the cats did!

Ted, I think my mistake with this post was that I left out a lot of pics that show how much fun these kids were having that day. hehe. Re: Anna, hala lagot. :)

Fox, thank you! Will forward you compliment to Anna. :)

6. By Chessbuff on Nov 6, 2008, 4:42:00 AM

Well, this class of budding animal welfare advocates is not the last to visit PARC. Next time, don't scrimp on a good thing. Remember, photos transport us to the scene of action. Beam me up, Sherwin.

I second the compliment about Anna.

7. By liza on Nov 6, 2008, 9:14:00 AM

thanks sherwin, a group already called and scheduled a feeding for this sunday! :D i'll be manning alone, wanna come with? :)

so thanks talaga for posting, you do so much for our shelter babies. pretty soon we might have to call out an appeal for cat lipo at Belo's. *grin*

ted, i heard you're coming over to visit next year, cannot wait to finally meet you and tour you around PARC! :D

8. By liza on Nov 10, 2008, 9:26:00 PM

thank you to susanna york for sharing her birthday blessings last saturday morning by cooking rice and ground pork for our shelter orphans. she saw this post re-posted in multiply and it happened to be her birthday. the shelter dogs were so excited!

another heartfelt thank you to divine oliva and her group of co-workers who also saw this post and decided to pool their resources and treat the shelter dogs and cats to a very yummy sunday breakfast of rice and boiled ground meat (for the dogs), and galunggong and squash (for the cats). even the feral cats got a much-appreciated treat of the leftover galunggong heads.

what's more, one of divine's friends fell in love with cat Blue, applied for adoption and passed, and will be picking him up next week :)

again, thank you sherwin for all that you do!!!! more power to mefindhome :D

9. By anna on Nov 17, 2008, 8:20:00 AM

Tried posting a reply to the comments last week but failed (I'm so "duhh" when it comes to blogs and websites) =).. Anyway, thanks Sherwin for documenting that day - it was a very busy but fun day for all of us. Nice to always review the photos and see the cats and the kids...Thanks Fox and Ted for your compliments but please bear in mind that Sherwin's camera works its magic on even the most drab-looking shelter animal (ME!).. hehe