Wanted: Cat Food Donors

Posted by siyerwin on Sunday, October 05, 2008 at 11:45 AM

shelter cats need cat food donationsThe PAWS shelter is currently running into serious problems keeping up with expenses on cat food and are asking for help from fellow animal-lovers. The shelter cats consume about 4.5 to 6 kilograms of cat food (kibble) every day which cost about Php360 to Php450 ($7.66 to $9.57) on the average.

A 22.7 kilogram (or 50 lbs.) bag of Princess Cat (the cheapest one we are able to find right now, available at Whiskers n' Paw Prints in Katipunan Rd., Quezon City) costs about Php1,800 ($38.30) and would last about 4 to 5 days. That's around Php10,800 ($230) per month which is a really significant amount considering PAWS doesn't have a steady source of funding.

If you wish to chip in to help the 100++ cats currently living at the shelter, you can do so in 3 ways:

Buy cat food to donate

You may donate any brand but we currently recommend Princess Cat because you get more with less. You may drop off your donations at the PAWS shelter in Quezon City (Map HERE). We invite you to go visit the shelter to personally meet your beneficiaries--- the animals!

Donate cash for cat food

The best way would be to visit the shelter to personally give your cash donation. You may also do it via bank deposits, transfers or through online payment systems. Please go to http://donate2paws.mefindhome.org for more info about donating cash. Please be sure to email Anna Cabrera of PAWS at philpaws @ yahoo.com (cc me at sherwin [at] mefindhome.org) after sending in your money and tell her the details and purpose of your donation (e.g., cat food).

Send a letter to your favorite pet food company

Urge businesses to get involved by sending them a letter about the plight of shelter animals. A small donation of 150 lbs. of cat and food per month from each of the top 3 pet food companies here in the Philippines would be more than enough for the needs of the shelter kitties. Which companies to write to? This report about the Philippine Pet Food Market might help answer that.

PAWS is not having any similar problems with the dog food supply because there are more dog food donations than cat food donations.

Thank you for reading!

1. 10 comments: Responses to “ Wanted: Cat Food Donors ”

2. By kouji on Oct 5, 2008, 6:45:00 PM

am unable to make a donation unfortunately. but i'll link to your site from my blogroll at least, maybe than can help.

just wanted to add that this is one of the best philippine blogs i've ever come across. will also stumble this site. i'd fave you on technorati, but i don't see a button.

it's good what you're doing here.

3. By Thalassa on Oct 7, 2008, 9:28:00 AM

Hi! I'm thinking of donating cat food. Where can one buy Princess Cat? Is it available in the Makati area? Also, would it be possible for the cat food to be picked up in Makati? We don't have a car, but if ever pick ups aren't possible, I can just try to make arrangements.

Another thing--I just need to check but I think there's a cheaper brand of cat food available in Makati. I'll get back to you regarding this as soon as I'm able to check it out.

4. By siyerwin on Oct 7, 2008, 9:47:00 AM

kouji, thank you very much! hope to see more of you around! ;)

Thalassa, please try to make arrangements to drop them off at the PAWS shelter. Please do get back to me about that cheaper cat food and I will relay it to the shelter supervisors. Thank you very much!

5. By KittyKat on Oct 9, 2008, 10:37:00 AM

Oh the poor kitties, if only I were as rich as Bill Gates :( Anyway, my supplier will deliver 5 bags of Whiskas (8kg per bag) at the PAWS shelter tomorrow, Oct 10. Not that I don't trust my supplier he he, but I would appreciate it if you could confirm that 5 bags of whiskas were indeed delivered. Thanks.

6. By liza on Oct 9, 2008, 6:00:00 PM

thank you thank you thank you for this post sherwin! you don't know how happy i was to see this. the shelter cats(and the demanding feral brats too) all send you their grateful purrs.

The PAWS shelter also needs:

* canned dog food (for medicating sick dogs)
    * canned cat food (for kittens and sick cats)
    * Zonrox
    * garbage bags
    * old towels (for lining the cat beds, for makeshift "dog beds," and drying newly-bathed dogs)
    * old newspapers
    * dog treats
    * your pets' old toys
    * dewormers (allwormer tablets)
    * Frontline (or other equivalent brand)
    * Heartgard (or other equivalent brand)
    * meds: Vibravet paste, Methozine or Metronidazole
    * liquid multi-vitamins and other pet supplements

7. By liza on Oct 9, 2008, 6:04:00 PM

oh, have we told you how much we LURVE you. and ivy too!! pls thank her for completely commandeering the merch booth last weekend - she is paws merch lucky charm!! :)

oh, one more thing the shelter needs, although this is kinda suntok sa buwan :D - 3in1 (feline) vaccines.

8. By liza on Oct 9, 2008, 6:33:00 PM

oops some more things i forgot to add: LC Scour (antibiotic) for the sick kittens & cats, liver supplements (e.g. Jetepar or Liv52), Immunol, Canine Red Cell

9. By liza on Oct 10, 2008, 9:49:00 PM

Kittykat: THANK YOU. We received the 5 sacks whiskas and the canned food today. The shelter kitties send you grateful purrs. We hope you can drop by the shelter one of these days to meet your purr-y beneficiaries. God bless you!

10. By Phoenix on Oct 31, 2008, 5:36:00 PM

Hi! Where exactly along Katipunan Rd. is Whisker's N Paw Prints? Is it near White Plains or on the side of Ateneo and Miriam?

11. By siyerwin on Nov 1, 2008, 3:03:00 PM

Phoenix, it's in front of Ateneo. Look for a PNB branch. Thanks for dropping by!