Poypoy is First Aspin Dog Dash Champ!

Posted by siyerwin on Sunday, August 31, 2008 at 9:17 PM

NEWSFLASH!

After winning hearts in the Alpo Frisbee Challenge, Poypoy now wins the trophy in the Aspin (Asong Pinoy) category of the just concluded fund-raising dog race for fun dubbed as the The Great Dog Dash and organized by The Philippine Animal Welfare Society (PAWS).

A photo-finish for Pinoy dog Poypoy!

Poypoy in his historic photo-finish as the champ in the first ever Aspin heat of The Great Dog Dash.

Poypoy, Putol and Pepper in the awarding ceremony!
Poypoy with Second and third placers Putol and Pepper in the awarding ceremony.

A big hurrah for Poypoy and the Aspins that joined the race! For more news and photos of the event, please subscribe to the official PAWS Yahoogroup! at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/whatsuppaws

Funds raised from this event will directly benefit the PARC shelter animals, specifically the dogs, because it will help finish the construction of 10 dog quarantine kennels that will serve as temporary shelter for newly rescued dogs before they are joined with the other dogs. Rescued animals are more often than not stricken by some form of illness so the dog quarantine will be their home while they are getting treated.

PAWS Dog Quarantine Kennels Under Construction
PAWS Dog Quarantine Kennels Under Construction
To those who went to join and support the event, we thank you from the bottom of our hearts. A hundred dog licks to everyone!

1. 6 comments: Responses to “ Poypoy is First Aspin Dog Dash Champ! ”

2. By keli keni on Sep 1, 2008, 11:28:00 PM

3. By askalfreak on Sep 2, 2008, 3:31:00 PM

maybe someday there'll be no categories? i mean, make all dogs equal: no breeds whatsoever just weight etc. :) i personally feel if we do this we will help lessen discrimination against native dogs even more. i laud PAWS for their effort to uplift the status of our very own dogs. keep it up :D

4. By siyerwin on Sep 2, 2008, 4:57:00 PM

Hi, Marlet. The Aspins were very surprising! In a sense they performed a little better than their imported counterparts in that they easily understood what must be done even without training. I know because two of the contestants were shelter dogs (we were afraid nobody would bring Aspins to join) and we were really in doubt if they would run when prompted. But they did! Ended up second and third! ;) Another Aspin named Freddie (not a shelter dog) did really well!

I had the same thoughts as you before the race but I think it was PAWS' way of highlighting the Aspins. I'm hoping that with how they performed in the race, more people will bring them in future Dashes and that we won't have to specifically and explicitly invite Aspins. People hopefully will just bring them to show the dog-loving world! I saw no Aspins in the past 2 year's Dashes where no such categories were made.

Us Pinoys just aren't very sharp at noticing how clever our very own dogs are. They're amazing without any effort at all. Aspins are a special breed!!!

I'd love to see Aspins go race against the world! I would definitely take your suggestion up with PAWS.

5. By askalfreak on Sep 5, 2008, 11:14:00 AM

Someday sherwin, someday. I know we Filipinos will be proud of our own native dogs and cats as much as Australians are proud of their dingos. We just have to work harder :)

6. By Anonymous on Jan 10, 2010, 9:19:00 PM

i have an aspin and a maltese..and i tell you..my aspin understand me a lot more better than my maltese..!they are such good and intelligent in thir own way..the looks may not be attractive, but you will feel the emotions they feel when you care for them, raise them well and treat them as a part of yourself! Two paws up for PAWS for their very wonderful insight and for upgrading aspin along with pure breed dogs!keep up the good work PAWS! Godbless all of you! ^^,

7. By Mother of Aspins on Dec 5, 2012, 9:51:00 PM

I have four aspins- they all have different personalities that I find endearing. One of them learned how to open the screen door of our house. I didn't even teach him how to do it. He just figured it out by himself. The other is a big one who whimpers like a puppy when left alone, and another one who whines when he wants me to give him attention. A puppy joined their group, she was found as a stray and is now the princess of our house. She also learned the surroundings that fast. Filipinos are just so discriminating that they don't see the potential of our native dogs. If there's something that we can really be proud of it's our own dogs who share the resilience and persistence that we Filipinos have.