An Afternoon at the Shelter

Posted by siyerwin on Monday, September 01, 2008 at 8:37 PM

PAWS Shelter Cat for AdoptionIt's been a while since I last had the opportunity to take pictures of the shelter animals but last Saturday afternoon I found myself having a lot of time on my hands so I packed my trusty cameras and off to PARC I went.

My favorite images usually happen on such afternoons. The light at the shelter can be very amazing if you know where to look and if you have the time for waiting. The cattery benefits from amazing warm sunsets during summer but an overcast day in the monsoon can still give you that soft, fuzzy light that photographers love.

The newly renovated outdoor cattery was my photo location of choice for this particular afternoon and the images shown in this post are my favorites.

I have been a volunteer for PAWS since 2006 and I must say that the new outdoor cattery is perhaps the best proof that the organization is moving forward. I've never seen the PARC cats fatter thanks to a re-focused effort to improve conditions at the shelter by improving the facilities.

PAWS Cattery

The shelter was renovated under the able direction of volunteers Heidi Guzon and Gwen Protasio. Heidi runs her own cat shelter and brings her experience in designing the PAWS cattery.

Of course the renovation wouldn't have happened at all if not for the donations that PAWS receives and the money raised from PAWS events. Yes, animal welfare advocate/animal-lover, you had a hand in this with your generous donation and your participation in past PAWS fund-raising events.

PAWS Cattery
The next project (now ongoing) is the construction of 10 dog quarantine kennels which looks to me are going to get finished as scheduled considering the success of the Great Dog Dash last August 31. Read more about it in my previous post.

PAWS Shelter Cat for Adoption
A kitten sleeps soundly in their shiny new shelter.

PAWS Shelter Cat for Adoption
The afternoon was made better by two human visitors that adopted a couple of shelter cats. Above is one of the two lucky cats.

PAWS Shelter Cat for Adoption
The cats seem to be getting along much better considering there are over 100 of them right now! Occasional brief boxing bouts still occur between some but in general they appear to be more tolerant of each other.

Feral Cat at the PAWS Shelter
Above is a shelter cat of a different sort. This one's part of the feral community that has made the shelter their shelter; a recipient of PAWS' trap-neuter-release endeavor right within its backyard. It rained that afternoon and this cat found cover under the PAWS Memorial Wall which is another fund-raising project of PAWS (will tell more about it in future posts).

PAWS is an organization that depends heavily on the support of volunteers and advocates. Help PAWS save more cats from cruelty and neglect by adopting, volunteering or donating.

Hope to see you at the shelter!

1. 10 comments: Responses to “ An Afternoon at the Shelter ”

2. By Ted Teodoro on Sep 2, 2008, 9:54:00 AM

Great photos as usual. The cats look quite contented and having a good life at the shelter.

3. By Greenwoods Pet Clinic on Sep 2, 2008, 10:20:00 AM

love the pics, sherwin! the cattery is impressive!

4. By askalfreak on Sep 2, 2008, 3:28:00 PM

love the cats! love your photos :)

5. By Anonymous on Sep 4, 2008, 10:47:00 AM

i am a fan of your blog - the layout and most of all the purpose - hope i could start learning photography it's a long time dream- X

6. By Anonymous on Sep 4, 2008, 10:59:00 AM

- hope i could watch you take pictures of them, one time - X

7. By siyerwin on Sep 4, 2008, 11:35:00 AM

Thanks, Ted, Lilli, Marlet, Anonymous. Anonymous, learning photography has been made a little faster (if not easier) by technology. It shouldn't stay a dream for long. Do drop by at the shelter some time and let's chat. :)

Ingat

8. By Anonymous on Sep 4, 2008, 12:49:00 PM

thanks, where can i email you? i am planning to have a project that might help paws in a little way but i might need a little help fr you. big thanks to you. - X

9. By siyerwin on Sep 4, 2008, 11:35:00 PM

It's right there at the sidebar :)
    sherwin [at] mefindhome.org

10. By anna braga le'te on Sep 7, 2008, 2:41:00 PM

I have two questions...:D

1. If I go to PAWS and tell them I want to adopt a cat, when will I be able to take it home? On the day itself?

2. When do you go to PAWS?

Mom's getting me a cat from PAWS for my birthday. Can't wait! :D

11. By Donna-Marie on Sep 13, 2008, 8:35:00 PM

What fantastic photos! And the new cattery looks great too.