A Wonderful Beginning for Trixie and Drae

Posted by siyerwin on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 at 3:50 PM

Drae Ybañez and Trixie at the PAWS Shelter!I'm not really that well-updated about the current events in the local entertainment industry but when I hear news about Pinoy celebrities/artists taking part in the animal welfare advocacy, I certainly take notice and, most of the time, start appreciating those artists more. I am pretty sure that these persons aren't doing it just for publicity being that animal welfare is still a struggling concept in most parts of the Philippines. I am convinced that most of these persons, no matter how popular they are, take part in the efforts to bring attention to the plight of Philippine animals because of their sincere concern and love for them.

Celebrities lending their support to the cause in whatever capacity, in my humble opinion, is always a welcome scenario for the shelter animals.

Consider the story of Drae Ybañez and a former shelter dog named Trixie.

Drae was a contestant in last year's Philippine Idol while it was still being shown in ABC-5. He is also a regular supporter of PAWS and I've personally seen him hosting at least one fund-raiser PAWS event.

Trixie is a Labrador Retriever puppy that was abandoned by his guardian/owner. The reason he was abandoned was most probably because he had a really bad case of hip dysplasia. When PAWS had him checked by Dr. Nielsen Donato of Vets in Practice, Dr. Nielsen recommended immediate surgery because without it, Trixie will experience severe pain and perhaps be unable to walk by the age of 2 to 6 years.

Hip dysplasia is a canine disease that manifests as an abnormality in the hip bones/joints of dogs that usually causes pain and lameness if not corrected by surgery. Trixie's case was severe in that her joints were actually out of their sockets and were resting on top of her hip bones! Dr. Nielsen said it was a wonder that Trixie was still able to walk!

Learning about this, Liza Umayam of PAWS set out to look for a possible sponsor for Trixie's surgery and when she broached the idea to Drae Ybañez, the guy readily agreed to shoulder the expenses and then agreed to adopt her after. Drae said it was love at first dog-walk because it was while he first walked Trixie at the shelter that the magic happened.

Last July 10, Drae picked Trixie up from PARC to personally accompany her to Vets in Practice for her surgery. Trixie is now recuperating from her successful surgery and well on her way to a long and happy life with Drae--- totally free from pain and human neglect.

This, I believe, is the stuff of fairy tales.

Drae's example is worth following don't you think? Adopt a shelter cat or dog and create your own fairy tale!

1. 11 comments: Responses to “ A Wonderful Beginning for Trixie and Drae ”

2. By Mercedes on Jul 23, 2008, 9:43:00 PM

Awww :')

3. By Lexy on Jul 25, 2008, 2:30:00 AM

This is so touchy..
    Im happy for Drae and Trixie ^^

4. By ice on Jul 25, 2008, 9:18:00 AM

I’ve always wanted to volunteer and spend time in the shelter to know more about the cause. I believe I can do more than just donating a bag of kibbles and feeding strays in our neighborhood. But I live in Laguna and sad to say, my family doesn’t support me on this because they never saw the reason why I love those stinky, filthy and useless animals.

I already have seven cats at home but whenever I see a stray kitten, I couldn’t help but take it in and nurse it until it’s old enough to fend for itself. My family thinks that I’ve lost it, that I am crazy and will end up old and alone because of my so-called passion for stray cats. Do you think so?

Please pardon me for digressing. Could you tell me what can I do should I volunteer, considering that I live way too far from the shelter?

5. By keli keni on Jul 27, 2008, 4:45:00 PM

kuya syerwin! musta na kayo?
    ilang weeks n rin akong hndi nakakavisit dito sa site niyo. sana maka vivist ako dyan para ma inspire ako sa mga hayop na nandyan,pati n rin s mga ngtra2bho sa parc.

God bless! :)

6. By siyerwin on Jul 28, 2008, 12:56:00 PM

Ice, of course you're not crazy. And you can do a lot of good right there in Laguna by, first, sticking to your convictions and remaining true to yourself. Do this consistently and take a little more effort teaching your family about the value in loving the things that you love, be they cats or any other things. Be patient and keep telling them the reasons why you love cats. With time, I'm sure they will start to see what you see or, at the very least, they will become tolerant of it.

I was in the same position as you when I got my own cat. It was really rough at first but now everything seems to be okay. I later found out that they were just concerned for me that I might get ill by keeping a cat inside the house. When I've shown them that that is a wrong notion, that cats can't get you sick if you take good care of them, they became more tolerant, perhaps even appreciative, of my cat.

I'd suggest that you start by spreading the word about responsible pet ownership in your community. Start with your friends and neighbors. Tell them dogs aren't meant to be security guards that must be kept chained 24 hours of everyday. Start a blog and talk about spaying and neutering to control the stray animals overpopulation. Just keep showing other people the kindness you're giving the your cats and you'll be able to help in the cause. Remember that we need all the help we can get from people, far and near.

Thanks and I wish you good luck. Regards to your cats. They're very lucky to have you.

7. By siyerwin on Jul 28, 2008, 1:08:00 PM

keli keni, okay naman ang buhay buhay! :) ikaw ang mukhang busy ha. :) you're welcome to visit the shelter anytime! hope to see you around! thanks for dropping by!

Hi, Lexy and Mercedes! :)

8. By keli keni on Aug 1, 2008, 3:10:00 PM

kuya syerwin,oo nga ho daming requirements sa school eh. pwede bang i repost yung paypal donation sa blog ko? para i advertise ko lng yung donation for parc. in a way to help the animals. thank you.

9. By siyerwin on Aug 1, 2008, 3:26:00 PM

keli keni, wag mo i-copy yun paypal button baka magka-error yun scripts. :) Can you just provide a link to the post? Just provide them "CLICK HERE TO DONATE" link to the page. Thanks and see you around. goodluck with school.

10. By mootzie on Apr 20, 2009, 9:26:00 PM

Hi im a dog lover also. Drae and Trixie story was touching sana marami pang katulad ni Drae.

11. By mootzie on Apr 20, 2009, 9:27:00 PM

Hi im a dog lover also. sana marami pang katulad ni Drae.

12. By Anonymous on Apr 2, 2010, 11:51:00 AM

You're a gift from heaven for Trixie. Mabuhay ka Drae...!