Dogs for Adoption: Hiyas and Missy

Posted by siyerwin on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 at 8:22 PM

Below are two more shelter dog portraits* that I started sharing in 2 of my previous blog posts (Koko, Le-ann, Sammy and Jackie). These dogs are currently looking for their forever homes and are asking our help in their quest.

Hiyas and Missy have been through some trying times (and that's understating it). Hiyas, for instance, has come within a hair's breadth of being in someone's dinner plate! Good thing the dog meat traders transporting them to Baguio were intercepted by the police, which subsequently transferred some of the dogs to the care of PAWS.

Hiyas was only one of around 100 dogs rescued by the police that day and one of the 8 dogs accepted into PARC (which was almost brimming full at the time) to be rehabilitated. Most of the other 7 dogs
have already been adopted except for Hiyas and one other dog.

Adopt a shelter dog rescued from dog meat traders!Hiyas has done good work for the cause by representing the shelter animals and assuming the role of Professor Dog and tagging along with PAWS volunteers in their school rounds--- part of the Humane Education program which basically teaches children about kindness to animals. Below are photos of Hiyas
(courtesy of Liza Umayam) in one of those trips.

Professor dog Hiyas at the British School!Hiyas the Professor Dog in her visit to the British School

Homeless dog Hiyas for AdoptionHiyas makes one teacher cry upon hearing her story

Missy's story, on the other hand, is a story of abandonment, which I believe is almost as painful as being left for dead in the hands of dog meat traders. Imagine yourself having a good, loving home to call your own and suddenly, one morning you find yourself being hauled to an animal shelter, a totally alien place to you, left to live with total strangers. Like Missy, it will probably take you some time to get over a traumatic experience like that. Good thing Missy has been rehabilitated and is ready to change her destiny. Let's help reverse her reversed fortune by bringing her back to a loving home that will protect her from screwed-up humans (her former guardian's husband threatened to slay Missy because of a domestic dispute; prompting her guardian to bring her to the shelter) and give her the love she deserves.

Shelter dog Missy looking for her forever home! Adopt Missy!
Do you want to save these beautiful animals from the despair of homelessness? If you do, please call up the shelter ASAP. The number to call is 475-1688. Email philpaws @ yahoo.com or sherwin [at] mefindhome.org for your inquiries.

Please read the adoption procedure: http://adoption.mefindhome.org
Find your way to the shelter: http://parc.mefindhome.org

Please feel free to spread the word around. Copy and re-post as needed.

Thanks for reading and hope to see you at the shelter!

*These images were not made me but was provided by PAWS. Copyright issues should be taken up with them (email: philpaws @ yahoo.com) but I was told that you can use them freely so long as you use it for promoting shelter adoption.

1. 21 comments: Responses to “ Dogs for Adoption: Hiyas and Missy ”

2. By Lexy on Jul 10, 2008, 4:09:00 AM

Missy looks exactly like my dog..cute :) hope she'll have her new home soon..

3. By Val on Jul 10, 2008, 10:10:00 PM

hi how old are they?

4. By siyerwin on Jul 12, 2008, 9:27:00 PM

Thanks, Lexy.

Val, Hiyas is around 2-3 years old. Will get back to you on Missy's age. :)

5. By Rein on Jul 14, 2008, 7:00:00 PM

i want to adopt missy for my tita.. she's lonely now because her dog died then her 16 year old daugther got pregnant and needed to left the house.. is it possible for me to adopt and give it to my tita?? i assure that the family is loving one... i just thought of this instead of buying..

6. By siyerwin on Jul 17, 2008, 1:32:00 AM

Rein, I believe your query has been answered through email by PAWS. Hope to see you and your tita at the shelter! :)

7. By Joy on Jul 25, 2008, 7:01:00 PM

i think we saw missy when she was just new at the shelter. if i remember it right, she was introduced to us as "akira" and not "missy". she was brought to the paws shelter with 2 other dogs (of the same owner). i hope she finds a new home soon. i remember how she cried everytime she sees people around. she was so payat then, i hope she has fully recovered. if only i had room for her in our house, i would have adopted her. we have 6 dogs na kasi and two of them are aspins that we adopted (remember moymoy's blogs?)
    im sure missy is a sweet dog and that her new family will surely love her.

8. By siyerwin on Jul 28, 2008, 7:02:00 PM

thanks, joy. God bless you for taking in those aspins. Hope to see you around. :)

9. By Schnuppi on Jul 28, 2008, 9:45:00 PM

I hope they'll get adopted na..

10. By siyerwin on Jul 29, 2008, 10:25:00 AM

Schnuppi, we hope so to. Will you help us spread the word? :)

Thanks for your support in the Pose for PAWS event. See you around.

11. By schnuppi on Jul 29, 2008, 11:06:00 AM

Of course, I'll do what I can =D Sana nga we still have a room for another dog.

12. By Jeremy on Sep 4, 2008, 1:26:00 AM

Kumusta na po si Missy?

May bagong home na po ba siya?

13. By siyerwin on Sep 4, 2008, 11:43:00 AM

As far as I know, wala pa, Jeremy. Kindly call the shelter at 475-1688.

14. By Jeremy on Sep 13, 2008, 8:45:00 PM

Hi, Siyerwin!

We have already adopted Missy just this afternoon, together with Tweety.

I hope we could send you some pictures of them soon.

They are very sweet and friendly dogs. My kid loves them.

15. By Anonymous on Sep 15, 2008, 3:28:00 PM

Jeremy, update mo kami kay Missy ha and Tweety ha.

16. By Jeremy on Sep 16, 2008, 10:56:00 AM

@anonymous,

Sorry for the late reply. I have been offline for quite a while.

Sige po. i-update ko kayo about Missy and Tweety. I just recently joined the whatsuppaws yahoo group. I will definitely send some pics soon.

As of today, they are doing very fine. They eat well (lalo na yung andok's manok). Just the smell of it drives them really hungry. They also eat Alpo 2-in-1.

Every morning and evening, we walk them to have their routine potty sessions. Tweety is quite a strong puller when she's on leash.

Missy is still on her antibiotics at the moment. She was spayed last September 16. Happily, she is getting better each day. She is beginning to be very active. She barks everytime a stranger gets near our gate.

Tweety is very playful. She is like a puppy inside a dog's body. I find her a perfect match for my active/sporty lifestyle. However, i still cannot involve her in energetic activities because I am still waiting for her spay stitches to completely heal.

Thanks, and as promised, I will upload some pics soon.

Jeremy...

...Julie & JJ

17. By siyerwin on Sep 16, 2008, 8:05:00 PM

Wow, Tweety and Missy adopted! Thanks for this wonderful news Julie, JJ, Jeremy! Got your email btw. Thanks a lot! Give my regards to the doggies! ;) Hope to see you around!

18. By Jeremy on Sep 16, 2008, 8:24:00 PM

You're welcome!

We also hope to see you soon.

I'm glad you received the pics.

I'll always keep in touch.

Hugs and Kisses from you were already sent to Missy and Tweety!

19. By roxy neri on Jan 2, 2009, 7:54:00 PM

Missy looks exactly like my dog Chelsea...
    such a cutie.. hope she'll find home soon!
    ^_^

20. By Anonymous on Jan 9, 2009, 8:56:00 AM

I WANT TO ADOPT A DOG. IT DOESN,T MATTER IF GIRL OR BOY. I WAS PLANNING ON BUYING A DOG BUT I FIGURED WHY DO I NEED TO BUY AND PAMPER ONE WHEN I CAN FIND A DOG THAT IS DESERVING OF ALL THE LOVE AND CARE THAT I AM WILLING TO GIVE. I LOST MY BABY PITBULL, BOSTON, LAST MONTH AND IT WAS REALLY DEVASTATING FOR ME AND FOR MY OTHER DOG JETHRO BECAUSE HE WAS OUR BUNDLE OF JOY. JETHRO MISSES HIM MORE BECAUSE HE WAS THE BISTFRIEND THAT HE ALWAYS WANTED. THEY ARE BOTH GUYS BUT THEY LOVE TO SLEEP AND PLAY TOGETHER. HAVING ANOTHER DOG IN THE HOUSE WOULD BE AN ANSWERED PRAYER. MY HOUSE IS TO QUIET. WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO QUALIFY.
    HERE ARE MY CONTACT INFO:
    LAARNIE B. FIGUEROA
    77 BAYANAN, BACOOR, CAVITE 4102
    lauren_daze@yahoo.com
    046-4174876
    I'M FROM CAVITE AND IM WORKING AS A CALL CENTER AGENT FOR TELETECH BACOOR. I WILL WAIT FOR THE RESULTS. KEEP ME POSTED AND GOD BLESS YOU FOR YOUR COMPASSION AND DEDICATION TO YOUR WORK.

21. By campopot on Feb 11, 2009, 5:20:00 AM

how much will adoption would cost?

22. By mhaermil on Mar 24, 2010, 2:17:00 PM

i hope i could also adopt a pet like missy my dog died last march 9, 2010 he swallow a bone given by our neighbor...or either one like nicole