Quezon City Pound Inaugurated, PAWS named as NGO Partner

Posted by siyerwin on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 at 12:29 PM

After months of meeting with the Mayor (Feliciano "Sonny" Belmonte, Jr), City Vet and Councilor BH (Bernadette Herrera-Dy) of QC, PAWS has succeeded in convincing officials that there is a need for a centralized city pound in order to facilitate easier monitoring and to put a stop to the practice of selling unclaimed dogs to dog meat traders by some barangays.

You may watch the video of the QC Pound Inauguration after the jump...

PART 1:

PART 2:

The new QC Pound is in Payatas - where security is tight and which makes it difficult for dog meat traders to infiltrate. Still, a watchful eye has to be kept at barangay level during the three (3) days that the stray dogs are kept at the barangay "mini pounds" before they are eventually turned over to the Payatas pound.

Registration of dogs will also ensure that everyone complies with the Rabies Act (RA 9482). Highlights of the said Act is the responsibility of all dog owners to register their dogs -for free (in QC), have their dogs vaccinated against rabies and not to let dogs roam unsupervised in the streets. Dogs should be walked in public places on a leash.

For info on when dog registration will be held at your barangay, please contact your local barangay officials. If you missed registration in your locality, you can go directly to the City Veterinarian' s office to make arrangements for your dogs' registration.

Quezon City is the largest city in Metro Manila with 142 barangays and a population of 2.69 MM residents. Estimated number of dogs is 200,000. Of this number, 1/3 are estimated as stray dogs.

The Rabies Act is aimed at eradicating rabies by making people responsible for their dogs and curtailing the movement of free-roaming dogs (unsupervised, uncontrolled dogs).

Please be a responsible dog owner/guardian:

1. Keep your dogs inside your yards
  2. Exercise them by walking them on a leash everyday
  3. Pick up after your pet (do not leave poop on the streets)
  4. Have them checked by a veterinarian regularly
  5. Have them registered at your barangay
  6. Have them vaccinated against rabies and other diseases
  7. Socialize your dog so that he/she behaves properly in public - tolerant of people and other dogs.
  8. SPAY or NEUTER your pet.
With the cooperation of all responsible pet owners, we can make our country RABIES-FREE and have more pet-friendly places. =)

1. 6 comments: Responses to “ Quezon City Pound Inaugurated, PAWS named as NGO Partner ”

2. By Lexy on Jul 17, 2008, 1:00:00 PM

Finally! I found an article bout this registration thing!
    I saw a poster bout registering your dog in QC but I didn't had the chance to read the ad clearly cause I was on a jeepney ride that time. Since then I can't stop thinking bout this cause I really want to register my dog (also have him baptize, he just turned 1 this July 13)
    Thanks to this post now I know how..the only problem is I still have look where's the nearest barangay post in my place. ^^

3. By siyerwin on Jul 21, 2008, 7:29:00 PM

hi, lexy. you're welcome. Have you joined the whatsuppaws yahoogroup yet? :) if you haven't kindly click the link right up there in my right sidebar. thanks and see you around! :)

4. By Lexy on Jul 22, 2008, 4:45:00 PM

I already joined just waiting for the approval :) Thanks ^^

5. By Jovan on Aug 23, 2008, 11:43:00 AM

Just wanted to know where exactly is the Quezon City Veterinarian's Office so I can have my dog registered.

Thanks!

6. By siyerwin on Aug 27, 2008, 9:50:00 PM

Jovan, I will get back to you on this. Can you send me an email at sherwin [at] mefindhome.org? Thanks for being a responsible pet guardian.

7. By Sienna on Feb 28, 2009, 12:38:00 PM

Hi, my name is Sienna i need to my great in thailand i have a dog japanese kishu color white boy.. san ko po cya pwedeng ipaampon? ayaw ko po kasi cya iwan kung san lng pls po sana matulungan nyo po ako..