What you can do as a PAWS volunteer

Posted by siyerwin on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 at 8:54 PM

I know people out there who are considering signing up as a volunteer for PAWS have wondered, at one time or another, about what it actually entails to be one. I know I did before I was able to attend the orientation. Below is a list of the general activities volunteers may take part in.

Volunteers can do any of the following based on their area of expertise or the amount of their free time:

1. Direct animal care - walking dogs, bathing dogs, interacting with cats, cleaning animal areas, training dogs. (Note: Requires close coordination with Shelter Manager and the Shelter Veterinarian)

2. Humane education (H.E.) - join the team that visits schools and teach children kindness through puppet shows, storytelling, songs etc. There are university lectures too. Other volunteers simply prepare materials like video, posters, flyers for the H.E. Team

3. Dr. Dog - animal-assisted therapy. We have accredited "Dr. Dogs" who visit sick kids in hospitals and institutions

4. Fundraising - events that are organized by officers of the organization or merchandise (t-shirts, caps, etc) developed, produced and sold to help raise funds for the animal shelter
  • Fundraising Events- headed by PAWS Director, Rich Ilustre
  • Merchandise Committee - headed by PAWS volunteer, Marian Barola
5. Lobbying, legal work - meeting with govt officials, attending hearings, giving legal assistance to those who want to file cases against animal offenders

6. Adoption Team - members of this team do EVERYTHING and ANYTHING to get more "exposure" for shelter animals and tell their stories to increase their chances of being adopted. Some members are also bloggers who try to utilize the web to spread the word about adoption! You can become part of the team by simply blogging!

7. Animal Rescue Team - rescues animals in distress

8. Spay-Neuter Team - main goal: raise its own funds to be able to offer free spay-neuter to those who cannot afford even PAWS' low cost spay-neuter rates. (Done in close coordination with Shelter Veterinarian)

9. Campaigns - complements all the major projects of the organization with flyers, posters, celebrity endorsements, organizing protest rallies, etc.

That's about it. Of course, the stuff you can do is not being limited to the things listed above. You're welcome to be as creative as you want to be. You just need to closely coordinate with PAWS.

Thanks to Anna Cabrera of PAWS for the list.

CLICK HERE for the schedule of the upcoming volunteer orientation. You need to attend one to become an official volunteer.

To download the application form and to learn more about what is expected from a volunteer please go to the official PAWS website.

1. 47 comments: Responses to “ What you can do as a PAWS volunteer ”

2. By Liz on Feb 28, 2008, 1:40:00 PM

I wish I were in the Philippines to help..

3. By meekerz on Feb 28, 2008, 3:08:00 PM

i hope i can join this march's orientation!

4. By siyerwin on Feb 28, 2008, 6:58:00 PM

thanks, liz.

meekerz, you're very welcome to attend! hope to see you at the shelter as a volunteer! :)

5. By Karl Benjamin on Feb 29, 2008, 9:52:00 AM

wow. i hope i can attend tomorrow. this might just make my upcoming birthday a little more special.

6. By Gaijin Pinoy on Feb 29, 2008, 11:24:00 AM

What are the characteristics/requirements for a dog to be a Dr.Dog?

Another serious question. Is there such a thing as a Dr.Cat? (e.g. a cat that actually allows a person to scratch its tummy.)

7. By siyerwin on Mar 4, 2008, 9:51:00 AM

gaijin, a Dr. Dog candidate undergoes extensive temperament tests before becoming a full-pledged Dr. Dog. Please inquire directly to PAWS (philpaws@yahoo.com) if you think you have a dog that may qualify.

I'm not really sure about cats. They could, in theory, become therapy animals but I think cats have more issues temperament-wise compared to dogs. But I do know a number of cats that don't mind being brought to places they're not familiar with. My cat freaks out a bit when brought to a place that looks and smells different from home. :)

Thanks for dropping by.

8. By stacie twirL on Mar 8, 2008, 12:32:00 PM

hi!

when will be the next orientation? i missed out on march 1 because i went to naga for a mountaineering activity..

hope there will be another one..

cai

9. By siyerwin on Mar 10, 2008, 1:51:00 PM

Hello, cai! no announcement yet on the next orientation. Will try to announce here at least 2 weeks in advance. You may SUBSCRIBE to my feed for automatic notification. Thanks for dropping by! :)

10. By Peyton on Jun 7, 2008, 5:21:00 PM

Hi, I am really interested sa pagvolunteer sa PAWS, and I just realized it sucks bakit ngayon ko lang naisip when I was having a hard time finding out what to do just this summer..

and now, pasukan na.. I will be busy as I am an incoming 3rd yr student.

I love animals. but can you help me how to sign up as a volunteer?

the thing is at the PAWS form, they are needing me to sign up at least 2 days.. problem, only saturday afternoon ang puwede lang ako.. and probably some of the times, I couldn't be there.

is it just like working? i mean, if you signed up for those days you have to be there?

I really need help and sayang if I can't volunteer :(

I don't know where else to contact you but here.. but please do email me for the information that you can share :) missruhker@gmail.com

thanks a lot

11. By Roxanne on Jun 11, 2008, 7:26:00 PM

hello c: i'm currently a 2nd yr college student and my classes are only from mondays to thursdays so im planning to spend my weekends as a volunteer. i sent my application via mail almost 3 weeks ago but haven't yet heard from PAWS. When will be the next orientation? and can i do volunteering on sundays?? thanks for the help c:

12. By siyerwin on Jun 11, 2008, 10:10:00 PM

Hi, roxanne! PAWS hasn't given the date for the next orientation yet. Please subscribe to the email feed of this blog. I will make sure to post the schedule as soon as I get word.

Thanks for your concern for the shelter animals. In the mean time, why not drop by PARC to meet the shelter cats and dogs? They love visitors!!! :)

Again thanks and hope to see you around!

13. By Roxanne on Jun 12, 2008, 7:24:00 PM

sure i'll visit, but i really can't wait to be a volunteer. thanks a lot c:

14. By angel on Jun 22, 2008, 11:42:00 PM

when is the next orientation?

15. By siyerwin on Jun 24, 2008, 8:26:00 PM

angel, still not announcement yet about the next orientation. Do drop by occasionally for updates or you may want to subscribe to my feed for updates. You could also join the PAWS yahoogroup if you want. Thanks and see you around.

16. By mamabear on Jul 1, 2008, 6:08:00 PM

hi really sounds interesting! however, i have work on saturdays til 3pm and my rest day is only sunday.. When are the schedule for the orientation?

17. By siyerwin on Jul 5, 2008, 9:52:00 PM

As far as I know, orientations are usually held during Saturday mornings. You may want to email philpaws@yahoo.com and provide this feedback to PAWS. Thanks for dropping by.

18. By Anonymous on Aug 20, 2008, 7:58:00 PM

i'm only a highschool student but i'd really love to help out for the volunteer work...

but being a student, i have to prioritize school... may i volunteer only for the summer? (about 4 months only)

- ps92

19. By Anonymous on Dec 1, 2008, 8:12:00 AM

hello there! i miss the last orientation. i'd really love to help... may i know when is the last orientation? thanks. =)

20. By Anonymous on Dec 16, 2008, 5:19:00 PM

hi..when is the next orientation..?..pls send me a message: vjcantos1818@hotmail.com..Thanks..

21. By Yin on Mar 21, 2009, 7:19:00 PM

hmmm, hopefully, after i graduate and if/when i get to work at PGH i may open more doors for Dr. Dog. I found out that they already had an even @ PGH Rehab Ward.

I believe that Dr. Dog can have so much more potential, more than just a one time-big time event. Given the patients' condition, they need help, not only in the medical sense but in psychosocial/emotional help as well.

Not only that but we are opening more doors for understanding regarding our native animals as well..

Ta!

- Yin (soon to be RN)

22. By Vunch on Mar 29, 2009, 1:42:00 PM

all my life my dream is to work with animals, preferably the "askals & the pusakals" we have. i would like to be a volunteer but i'm in cebu. i really would wish someday that you will be in cebu soon so that i could fulfill my dream. keep up the good work!

Vunch

23. By Rachelle on Apr 18, 2009, 10:40:00 PM

Hi. I would really love to help, but i'm very far away -- im in cagayan de oro. i would really like to become a volunteer, and i am starting out here (quite little and in my own way) in helping the poor creatures. it really crumples my heart out when i see them very helpless. would there be other or more possible chances of sharing my utmost service to the animals? please inform me of some possibilities. here's my email (rachelle_247@yahoo.com)

im already a pet lover ever since, and i would be very much glad to help out this summer.

God bless.

- Rachelle

24. By Anonymous on Apr 21, 2009, 2:14:00 PM

hello. I am from laguna and just like you I love animals, first and foremost maybe because I was exposed to a lot of different animals when I was still a bio student. anyways, I have 3 dogs at home and I am having problems as to where I will leave them, if ever me and my mother will move to another country, I was just wondering if there is anyway i can give my dogs to your organization and have it adopt by someone else who will really take care of them, once we got to leave. Is there anyway? Thank you. In addition, I am also interested in your volunteer program, when will be your next volunteer orientation?again thank you.

25. By Anonymous on May 17, 2009, 5:31:00 PM

Hello. Where can i report a crime for animals? One of our cats have been killed today. I'm just not sure who did that crime. She just gave birth last month, and now their mother is gone. :(

26. By renee (: on Jun 3, 2009, 1:31:00 AM

i'm volunteering!!!!!!!!!!!

PAWS family wait for meee (:

27. By Anonymous on Jul 6, 2009, 8:09:00 PM

do you have PAWS in Cebu? I wanted to be a volunteer too!

28. By Anonymous on Jul 11, 2009, 2:26:00 PM

hi! ask ko lang po if nag aampon po ang PAWS ng mga pusa. cause i have 9 cats yung isa tinapon ng kapatid ko. at nalungkot ako ng sobra sabi nya kapag hinanap ko daw yon ay papatayin nia sa harap ko, natakot ako dahil papatayin din daw nia ung ibang pusa ko. kaya kahit sobrang sakit naisip ko na lang na ipaampon sila dahil alam kong safe sila don. naghahanap po ako ng center ng pwedeng kumupkop sa mga alaga ko. sana po tulungan nyo ko. paki email n lang po ako sa ms.vain@yahoo.com. marami pong salamat.

29. By anna7278 on Jul 29, 2009, 6:01:00 PM

I can't forget one weekday morning riding on a public transportation going to office when I saw a very thin dog, his body is full of sores and wounds, his fur is almost nothing and half of his face is bleeding (I think from an accident), if I didn't made it wrong, I think a saw part of his bone from an open face wound. I can't stare on that horrifying view and can't hold a drop of tear from my eyes.

I don't want to see those kind of unloved animals and I want to be a part of your volunteer group and make some action and care for those wonderful creatures. Please let me know how to be a volunteer. Drop me a PM in anna7278.multiply.com. Hope I could be of help. Thanks and God bless...

30. By Rage An *its my pen name* on Aug 21, 2009, 2:26:00 PM

hi.. i'm paige from litratozguild.com, Litratoz Guild or LG is a photography club where we focus our photography skills to advocacy/social awareness in our country. we are just starting up to establish our guild. and for our first advocacy project we would like to set up a photo ops in PAWs for the animals what are up for adoptions. Through our photography skills we would like to help these cats and dogs find a loving home through our advocacy projects.

i would like to ask to who are we to approach for this manner. This have been a long plan already.

pls do respond to our email directly to me the guild moderator paige@litratozguild.com

thank you and hope we could work together in finding new homes for these cute furrballs ^_^

31. By siyerwin on Aug 25, 2009, 11:12:00 PM

Rage An, sorry for the late reply. Kindly contact philpaws [at] yahoo [dot] com for this project. It's always great to have more volunteer photographers!

I hope this pushes through!

Thanks for you concern for the homeless animals.

32. By L. Garcia on Aug 26, 2009, 12:46:00 PM

33. By siyerwin on Aug 26, 2009, 1:06:00 PM

Your cat is stuck on your roof since yesterday and the best thing you can think of is call PAWS? You do know this reflects on you as a pet guardian and not on anyone else, right?

If I were in your shoes calling an NGO to solve such an urgent problem will be the last thing that will cross my mind.

If you really can't think of any other way to save your cat, please call my personal cellphone at zero nine one seven eigth nine five four one eight seven and I will try to help you figure it out.

If I know someone from your area who has a ladder, I will ask him/her to go to your house and get your cat for you.

34. By Marvi on Aug 30, 2009, 5:52:00 PM

Hi Sherwin, I am a new volunteer and I want to ask if can I use some of your photos and stories here in your blog to be published in my personal blog. I want to help dogs and cats in PAWS to get a loving home. Hope you can heed to my response

35. By grace on Sep 1, 2009, 11:35:00 AM

hi siyerwin, i pick-up stray cats from the street. i now have more than 30 cats at home. all spayed and neutered. i wish i can take in more cats but the house is already a little too crowded. my sister and i dream of earning enough money to buy our own land and set up our own cat shelter. but until then, i still see a lot of homeless cats on the street. will PAWS accept them if i continue to pick-up cats and bring them to the PAWS shelter? Thanks!

36. By siyerwin on Sep 2, 2009, 11:27:00 PM

Marvi, sure go ahead!

grace, like your house, the shelter space is finite and last time I heard they're in the 200 level. I don't know what's the status now but it's likely the same. I honestly usually have a hard time answering messages like yours because I know how you feel but the reality as you know is that we can not possibly take them all in.

The usual advice is that if the cats are not in distress and seems to be surviving with no immediate threat to their lives, they may not need rescue at all.

Even if all of us had the resources to build shelters, nothing will change if we do not make efforts in solving the root of the problem by educating people about animal welfare. The more important mandate of animal welfare groups such as PAWS is not animal rescue but humane education. It is the only way to get to the root of this problem. Like I usually say, why aim for just building animal shelters when we can all aim for a world that doesn't need one?

I know you have your hands full with your mini shelter at home but why don't you drop by the shelter and meet some volunteers. I believe there are more than a couple there who have made a shelter out of their homes as well...

37. By siyerwin on Sep 2, 2009, 11:37:00 PM

btw, grace, thanks for taking in those cats and having them spayed. I wish there were more people like you! If you have more queries, kindly email me or PAWS. email address at the sidebar. Thanks and see you around.

38. By siyerwin on Sep 2, 2009, 11:38:00 PM

39. By Anonymous on Sep 9, 2009, 5:56:00 PM

hi! is there an animal shelter where i can bring stray cats? cats are being poisoned in our neighborhood. a number of my cats were killed and as a result of that, i had to keep them within my own garage to keep them safe. however, there are other stray cats in our area and i hope there is an animal shelter where i can bring them to give them a chance at survival. it is so disheartening to just see them helplessly dead on the street. i have always loved animals and am willing to give regular donations to the animal shelter org that would be willing to take them in. I would keep them all if I could but I already have a number of my own to take care of and don't really have any extra space.

40. By Rage An *its my pen name* on Sep 12, 2009, 2:15:00 PM

i didnt get a reply from the email T.T and no one is answering the phone... is it ok to just drop by there unexpectedly introduce ourselves then take the pictures for our advocacy section for our website?

41. By haseyama08 on Sep 12, 2009, 5:53:00 PM

i really want to join but i am still young. what is the age limit to be a volunteer? i am really interested.

42. By Cha Laxamana on Sep 24, 2009, 4:44:00 PM

"By L. Garcia on Aug 26, 2009 12:46:00 PM

I called paws because my cat has been on the roof of our neighbor's house for quite sometime. I just wanted t know where I can seek help to get my cat from the roof, he's been crying there since yesterday...no water, no food....non-stop crying even at night...he culd not go down on his own as the roof is very very high...but the staff just HANGED UP THE PHONE ON ME. NO GENUINE CONCERN FOR ANIMALS. MERELY COLLECTING FUNDS IN THE NAME OF POOR ANIMALS..."

i know it's a bit too late to comment on THIS but...
    ARE you kidding me?

this is Cha from PAWS, The Shelter Administrative Officer. First off, we NEVER hang up on callers as you have mentioned. We're juggling eighteen different things all at the same time here at PARC and the rare times that we can breathe and answer the phone, WE TAKE THE CALL. Abandoners, volunteers,rescuers, the works.

And to say that we're collecting funds for ourselves? That's just not fair, considering we never get a cent at the expense of our shelter animals. You can come visit the shelter anytime so you PERSONALLY see where all the donations go to.

Please don't make any unneccesary and untrue allegations if you're just frustrated that an NGO didn't help you get your cat from the roof. Geez.

43. By eggery on Nov 17, 2009, 9:02:00 AM

Hi! My name is Rachel. I'm a college student studying in Quezon City. I also want to join PAWS although I'm not sure if my schedule fits all the activities. But I really hope I can help. I also want to know when is the next activity/event so I can mark my calendar already. Thanks!

44. By Lancaster Puppy on Nov 20, 2009, 8:16:00 PM

i think this is no coincidence. i was at the mall last week and got the PAWS card from the bestseller shop. it got me thinking of checking it out. i just got a pet puppy last august after years of not being permitted at home by my dad. i put up a blog for my pet puppy because i am just overwhelmed by my love for Lancaster (he responds to that name). I think it's a great idea to promote pet adoption in my blog through PAWS.

45. By Elaine April Verdad on Jan 3, 2010, 12:32:00 PM

i hope theres a chance that i can be a volunteer at PAWS if theres an orientation for volunteers can you please tell me heres my e-add taz_ea_25@yahoo.com tnx

46. By Carmina Datoc on Mar 9, 2010, 4:32:00 PM

I would want to be a volunteer. would there be a new orientation? if there will be.. please email me at carmina_datoc@yahoo.com

47. By Gia on Apr 4, 2010, 8:30:00 AM

count me in. guialandicho@yahoo.com

48. By Anonymous on Jun 1, 2010, 4:13:00 PM

I'd like to volunteer as well, pls email me at lenyram27atyahoodotcom as I might not be able to regularly check on this site for updates. thanks!