Spending time with Jasmine

Posted by siyerwin on Sunday, January 27, 2008 at 12:56 AM

Adopt a shelter dog! Adopt Jasmine!Jasmine's coat of white faintly glistened in the afternoon sun as I entered PARC's Dog Run 1 (an enclosure for socializing the shelter dogs). She and her buddies greeted me with the customary sniffing and licking while I bolted the gates shut. Then I returned their warm welcome with a generous amount of patting and 'hellos'. Jasmine stayed at my side long after the others have gone off to doing their doggy ways. Good Jasmine. It was a good start.

I was there actually looking to spend a little time with Jasmine whom we consider to be the shelter's Big Sister. She's logged in the longest time being a shelter-mate compared to the other dogs currently there. Elvin, one of PARC's animal caretaker who's been at the shelter for years, swore Jasmine was already there when he signed up for the job. PARC Veterinarian Doc Ami estimates her age to be at least 5 years old. There's a good likelihood that she's been at the shelter for approximately the same length of time.

Her file indicates that she is a very active dog and needs a lot of exercise. I thought there was a mistake as I didn't see that dog while I was there. Jasmine lacked the bounce of a very active dog. But Elvin attested to how active this dog used to be when, some time ago, she reportedly made a mad dash for freedom. Jasmine broke free from her leash and ran away onto the busy street in front of PARC. Hot on her heels, Elvin saw how she was almost crushed by a taxicab and a truck.

The dogs at the shelter are luckier than the dogs left to fend for themselves on the busy streets of men. But after years of shelter life and seeing all your friends come and go, would you blame Jasmine if she wanted out?

Let's give Jasmine freedom from shelter life. She desperately needs it.

Bring back the bounce and the confidence in her gait by adopting her and giving her the security, love and freedom of a home.

Jasmine walked around the confines of Dog Run 1 barely interacting with the other dogs. She found a good spot, lied down and let her eyelids droop. I called on her name as I set up my camera tripod. She stood up, looked at me and smiled...

Adopt a shelter dog! Adopt Jasmine!Jasmine hanging out with Emil.

Adopt a shelter dog! Adopt Jasmine!Jasmine up close.

Adopt a shelter dog! Adopt Jasmine!Jasmine dreaming of home.

Please feel free to forward this to your friends or to repost on your blogs. For any comments and queries, please call PARC at 475-1688 or email them at philpaws @ yahoo.com. You may email me at sherwin @ mefindhome.org

1. 6 comments: Responses to “ Spending time with Jasmine ”

2. By Chessbuff on Jan 28, 2008, 2:13:00 AM

It is a testament to PAWS' good work and humane treatment of animals that Jasmine is still with them after 5 years. In most shelters in the USA, Jasmine would have been euthanized to make room for others. As you have implied, living at PARC is better than being a stray dog in the streets albeit a permanent home with a family is the best. I pray that Jasmine gets adopted soon. It was interesting to hear the " personal " history of a dog.

3. By babybranny on Jan 30, 2008, 11:44:00 PM

thanks for this sherwin! you super rock :))

4. By vivrecherie on Jul 7, 2008, 2:13:00 PM

my beloved dog carlos would have looked exactly like jasmine if he grew up. do you think they allow people from the province to adopt?

5. By siyerwin on Jul 8, 2008, 10:32:00 AM

yes, they do! A number of of our shelter dogs have been lucky enough to be adopted and brought home to the province. You would need to come here to Manila for the interview though...

Thanks for dropping by and I do hope to see you at the shelter!

6. By Schnuppi on Aug 4, 2008, 8:05:00 PM

I read from PAWS that Jasmine has been adopted out already!! Is this the Jasmine they were talking about? Hip hip horay!!

7. By siyerwin on Aug 6, 2008, 12:54:00 PM

Yes, Scnuppi! :) Thanks for helping spread the word! :)