How to take beautiful pictures of your pets (Part 1)

Posted by siyerwin on Thursday, January 24, 2008 at 12:21 PM

The most beautiful pet pictures are those with your pets in it.

Let's admit it. Dogs, cats, rabbits, hamsters, or any other animal companion we may have, live such brief lives that every moment with them caught on 4x6 prints become priceless possessions regardless of their technical merit in the photographic sense.

But if you're interested on how to make your pet pictures more memorable by making them technically (and, perhaps, artistically) sound without much of the techno mumbo-jumbo, I've come up with this series of blog entries which will present some simple guidelines that I hope will point you to the right direction in terms of the fundamentals.

You can make great photographs with any camera

Let me repeat that for effect. You can make great photographs with any camera. Stunning photos are possible for both film instamatic point and shoot cameras and modern digital cameras. Don't believe me? Just think of it this way. A camera, be it film or digital, is just a light-tight box that lets in light through a hole. That's basically what a camera is--- just a box with a hole! Image is recorded using either film or digital sensor, both of which are manufactured to become the light-sensitive components of the camera. Both mediums undergo a process whereby the images are "developed". Exposed film needs to undergo an analog or chemical process to "fix" the image onto the film so you can later have it printed. Digital images, on the other hand, undergo a development process which happens in the camera right after you take the picture.

So you see, the principles of photography is very much the same with either medium and with any camera ever created throughout its history. The differences lie in the advancement of technologies that directly affect the quality of images and the convenience and speed by which they are created. Please bear in mind that high quality image doesn't necessarily translate to stunning or great imagery. An image that is tack sharp isn't always better than a blurred up one. Just check out the picture of two of my favorite earthlings above, one of whom is my pet/animal companion Prada (guess which one). Sometimes the imperfections of an image, like the blown out highlights (lack of detail in the highlight areas) and the lack of focus, add to the mood and appeal of the photograph. I have versions of this photo that are sharper and better exposed but there's just something about this picture that makes it better.

The lack of a modern camera should not stop you from creating memory and art. Whip out those 30 year old Nikons, those brand spankin' new Canons, those water-proof Olympuses and those plastic Holgas and just start shooting!

(To be continued)

1. 7 comments: Responses to “ How to take beautiful pictures of your pets (Part 1) ”

2. By Thoughtful Kitty on Jan 24, 2008, 10:45:00 PM

I'm looking forward to the next installment of this article -- there are a lot of simple steps you can take that will take you beyond 95% of the color snaps people take... You've got a new RSS subscriber!

3. By babybranny on Jan 25, 2008, 1:39:00 PM

hi sherwin, i have thousands of pics of my pets (and bore people to tears by insisting that they view these pics), all crappy!

you're just really talented, admit it..hehehe!

but i will surely read on re this series..i sure need the help! *wide grin* :)

4. By Anonymous on Jan 26, 2008, 2:53:00 PM

adopt a kitten do u guys have any left

5. By siyerwin on Jan 27, 2008, 2:45:00 AM

Liza, thanks. Your pics are all fun and not boring. Every camera has limitations. You can create good pics with your camera if you work within those limitations and create or wait for conditions wherein your camera will perform at its best. :) It's all about the lighting, Liza. Good moment and good lighting always make for an awesome capture.

Anonymous, there is always a bunch of kittens at the shelter that need homes or foster parents. Drop by anytime and see them. :)

6. By meekerz on Jan 28, 2008, 11:03:00 AM

Very much looking forward to the following posts! :) I love your pics!

7. By siyerwin on Jan 30, 2008, 10:37:00 PM

thanks, meekers!!! working on the next installment. :) you take good pics, too!!! :)

8. By veronica sison on Aug 1, 2009, 1:44:00 AM

i agree , i have pix with my pets / of my pets specially my drizella .. and they are the most candid and beautiful shots for me.. Pictures with our pets are one of the sincerest pictures i have ever seen.. it shows a lot of depth and compassion, more than just a picture taken,indeed it proves that pictures can really paint a thousand words *=) Veronica Sison