Find Your Way to the Animal Shelter!

Posted by siyerwin on Sunday, January 13, 2008 at 2:38 AM

(Help others find their way to the homeless animals. You may refer them to this post using the URL: http://parc.mefindhome.org )

PARC on Google Earth!!! Please click to enlarge.

The PAWS Animal Rehabilitation Center (PARC) sits right on a stretch (westbound side of Aurora Blvd.) where there aren't really other establishments except for a bus company garage. However, if you're eastbound (from left to right on the Google Earth capture above) and are bringing your own vehicle or taking the taxi, you will not be able to make a left turn from the eastbound lane to enter the shelter because you'd be right at the foot of a flyover that leads to Marikina City. You will need go over the flyover and maneuver yourself onto the westbound lane (right to left direction) of the street to get to PARC. This route is marked by the pink dots on the satellite photo. I have to warn you though that the (east) end of the flyover is a no U-turn zone so you will need to go further down the street to make a safer U-turn. You may also make a left turn at the first corner street right after the flyover and there make an about-face to get back to the street where you came from and then turn right (westbound lane). Please be very careful.

A better and safer route for those with vehicles or in taxi cabs would be to go take Marcos Highway then take the first U-turn slot. This will be a longer route though.

Here's how PARC's front looks like. Say "friend" and enter.

That's the westbound (cubao-bound) lane of Aurora Blvd. The PARC gate is open
from 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Mondays to Saturdays. Look there are flowers growing on the sidewalk!

For those commuting and coming from Cubao:

It would be easiest to take LRT 2 (Aurora blvd. LRT) and then get off at the Aurora-Katipunan station. Be sure to take the LRT's North Exit and you will find yourself on the westbound lane of Aurora Blvd. From there you cross Katipunan Ave. and follow the blue dots on the satellite photo. Watch out for a Petron gasoline station. This would be a 10-minute (give or take a couple of minutes) workout for those leg muscles.

Another option is suggested by Anna H. Cabrera of PAWS:

"...the easiest way via LRT2 is to get off at SANTOLAN station (the next and currently the last one after Katipunan station; along Marcos Highway). When they get off at SANTOLAN, you can cross to the Cubao-bound side using the pedestrian overpass. Ride any jeepney bound for Cubao (using Aurora) - fare is only P7.50 - and say that you will get off at "Barangka, near Superline Bus Terminal". The shelter is not a popular stop so you have to signal the jeepney driver to stop as soon as you see the SUPERLINE BUS TERMINAL sign. The jeep will then stop either right at the Bus Terminal or - the puzzled jeepney driver looking at you from the rearview mirror - will stop a little farther, just right by the PARC gate.. hehe.. that's what always happens to me, anyway. I find this route safer as there is no need to cross anywhere except when you're using the pedestrian overpass at LRT2 Santolan station."

If you're taking the PUJ or FX, get those headed for Calumpang, SSS Village and Parang. They will all pass through Barangka and hence will all take the flyover. You will need to get off after the flyover, cross the street and walk the distance from there to PARC. That's a short 5-minute walk.

For those with vehicles or in taxicabs coming from C-5 road, Pasig and other places from Metro Manila South:

Just find your way to C-5 road and head for Libis, QC. When you drive past Eastwood City you will shortly come to a flyover which will lead you to a tunnel (Blueridge Interchange). Take that flyover and that tunnel. They will bring you to Katipunan Road. Turn right at the Aurora-Katipunan intersection. Follow the pink dots (on the satellite photo) or follow Marcos Highway then take the first U-turn. Reminder: Don't go over the Katipunan flyover.

After passing by Eastwood, you'll shortly get to the end of the C-5 Road/E. Rodriguez Jr. Ave.
There will be an interchange (or a flyover going into a tunnel).
Take that interchange and it will bring you to Katipunan. Click to enlarge.

Here's the wide angle version of the above map. Go straight Katipunan and it
will bring you to the area in the Google Earth capture at the top.

For those with vehicles or in taxicabs coming from UP Diliman, Commonwealth and other places from Metro Manila North:

Just find your way to the Q.C. Elliptical Rd. and find Philcoa to enter the University Ave. of U.P. Diliman. Once on the Universtity Ave., turn right at the first stop light into C.P. Garcia Ave. This road will be a winding road that will take you to Katipunan Ave. Turn right at the end of C.P Garcia. It will bring you to the area seen in the Google Earth capture. When you reach the Aurora-Katipunan intersection, don't take the flyover. You will need to get from from Katipunan ave to the Marikina-bound lane of Aurora Blvd. This intersection employs MMDA's U-turn scheme so you there is no left turn from Katipunan. Turn right then make a U-turn shortly after. Follow the pink dots or Marcos Highway then make the U-turn at the first slot.

From Philcoa enter UP Diliman. Turn right at the first stop light.
Click the map to enlarge.

A wider angle of the map above. Turn right at Katipunan Rd. at the
end of C.P. Garcia. Click to enlarge

If you're coming from Commonwealth Ave., otherwise known as Don Mariano Marcos Ave., you will need to take Tandang Sora Ave. to pass through Old Balara and finally come to Katipunan Road.

Drive straight Katipunan and it will take you to the area in the
Google Earth capture above.

For corrections, comments, suggestions and questions, please email me at sherwin @ mefindhome.org

Maps courtesy of a nifty little site called MapCentral (http://www.mapcentral.ph).

1. 41 comments: Responses to “ Find Your Way to the Animal Shelter! ”

2. By Chessbuff on Jan 13, 2008, 11:41:00 AM

Great job on the directions. Coincidentally, I was also looking up PARC on Google Earth last week out of curiosity. From a diagram you provided earlier at your site, I managed to zero in on PARC. I have been to Loyola Center where I used t watch NCAA games many, many years ago (early 1970s), and I didn't realize how close PARC is to Loyola. I will surely visit PARC when I go home to the Phils. in 2009.

3. By babybranny on Jan 13, 2008, 3:29:00 PM

once again, great post sherwin! :) exactly what we need. will give this link to jho, so she can relay to callers.

4. By deadlycatkick on Jan 13, 2008, 7:48:00 PM

Great post Sherwin! Please forward to whatsuppaws.. By the way, the easiest way via LRT2 is to get off at SANTOLAN station (not KATIPUNAN). When they get off at SANTOLAN, you can cross to the Cubao-bound side using the pedestrian overpass. Ride any jeepney bound for Cubao (using Aurora) - fare is only P7.50 - and say that you will get off at "Barangka, near Superline Bus Terminal". The shelter is not a popular stop so you have to signal the jeepney driver to stop as soon as you see the SUPERLINE BUS TERMINAL sign. The jeep will then stop either right at the Bus Terminal or -the puzzled jeepney driver looking at you from the rearview mirror - will stop a little farther, just right by the PARC gate.. hehe.. that's what always happens to me, anyway. I find this route safer as there is no need to cross anywhere except when you're using the pedestrian overpass at LRT2 Santolan station. =)

5. By babybranny on Jan 13, 2008, 11:59:00 PM

hey anna & sher,

i actually get down at the katipunan station myself so that i could get to walk rather than ride a jeepney from the santolan station.

although anna's right, you'd still have to cross katipunan, lotsa cars. but at least my fat ass gets some exercise :D

6. By siyerwin on Jan 14, 2008, 3:36:00 PM

Thanks, Ted! I've been trying to come up with this post for a long time but just couldn't muster enough momentum. But since I get asked for directions all the time, I just had to do it. Google Earth came in handy!

We'll see you in 2009 then!!!

Anna and Liza, ako rin kasi I don't mind that walk from Katipunan to PARC though the vehicular traffic in that intersection do tend to get crazy at certain times of the day. Ingat na lang siguro.

Thanks and see you around!

7. By Gail on Jan 17, 2008, 5:37:00 AM

Malapit lang pala sa house namin ang PARC (I live in Blue Ridge). Actually, I was surprised it's there pala. I only noticed it when we were coming home after visiting our new house in Cainta (lilipat kasi kami sa Filinvest East next month). Nonetheless, malapit parin.

Can I visit PARC ba so we can take pictures for a PAWS entry I'm planning to make for Pinoy Dog-Lover?

8. By siyerwin on Jan 18, 2008, 12:39:00 PM

Gail, by all means do drop by the shelter anytime. Lapit mo lang pala! I will be there tomorrow. Hope you can drop by.

Cheers!!!

9. By shei on Jul 2, 2008, 4:38:00 PM

Thanks Sherwin..
    This is really helpful :)

10. By roanne on Oct 1, 2008, 4:53:00 PM

waahhh wish i can go to PARC..hmmm...sna mkpunta dis month..

11. By Anonymous on Nov 17, 2008, 11:10:00 AM

Hi! Gusto ko din mag-adopt ng dog. Kaso nasa probinsya ako. Paano arrangement? Sana nga may regional if not provincial offices kayo..

Interested ako mag-adopt ng dog. Sa pasko sana.ü

12. By jackie prudente on Nov 29, 2008, 12:18:00 AM

very good directions! even the maps are so clear :) i'll definitely visit parc soon!

cheers to all dog lovers and to those who want to make a difference by helping them!!! :) arf! arf! :)

13. By Rachel on Jan 3, 2009, 1:55:00 AM

hi..i'm rachel. matagal ko na tlga gusto mag volunteer sa PAWS, pero ngayon lang tlga nagkaron ng chance.mdalas ako pumulot ng stray cats since nung bata pa ako lalo na pag kuting pa lang..malaki na sya ngayon..hehe..pano po ba maging volunteer? i'm from project 3 lang.lapit lang pla ako dyan.walking distance lang..

14. By siyerwin on Jan 9, 2009, 9:49:00 AM

rachel, i hope you saw my post about the next orientation. hope to see you at the shelter!

15. By potato on Jan 9, 2009, 10:21:00 PM

gusto ko po sana maging volunteer din kasi i super love dogs. Kaso wala akong kakilala :( ohh noo. XD

mga gano po katagal ung orientation bukas?

thanks :D

16. By siyerwin on Jan 9, 2009, 10:32:00 PM

it's about 2-3 hours. hope you can drop by. you'll meet fellow volunteers and the dogs, too!

17. By Anonymous on Jan 22, 2009, 9:38:00 PM

I am from bacoor, cavite and I study in DLSU-M. I do not know how to get to the LRT2 station.. how do I get there form taft?

18. By siyerwin on Jan 23, 2009, 9:12:00 AM

Hi. Doroteo Jose station of LRT1 is connected to Taft station of LRT2 by a walkway. Just ask the guards if you get lost. From Taft, you get off at Katipunan station.

hth!

19. By rosemarie on Jan 23, 2009, 2:37:00 PM

hi.i'm rose from calamba.Matagal ko na po sana gusto mag volunteer sa PAWS,kya lng d ko alam kung paano?sobrang maawain kc ako sa lahat ng hayop.Marami rin kc kaming alagang pusa at aso.ang problema ko minsan marami ako napupulot n kuting kya lng d ko sila mabuhay ng matagal,ginawa ko naman lahat ng paraan pero namamatay pa rin sila.Gusto ko sana malaman kung merong seminar para sa tamang pag aalaga ng pusa at aso?ask ko lang kc may mga taong bumibili dito sa lugar namin ng mga aso para katayin ano kaya pwedeng gawin sa kanila? sana masagot nyo tanong ko,thanks a lot sherwin...

20. By siyerwin on Jan 28, 2009, 8:54:00 AM

rosemarie, pede mo isumbong sa barangay at pulis yang mga tao na yan. labag sa batas ang magbenta ng aso para kainin. tumawag ka sa 02-4751688 between 1-3pm at hanapin mo si Anna. matutulungan ka nya tungkol sa mga hakbang na pede mo gawin sa susunod na makita mo yun mga nagbebenta ng aso.

21. By Anonymous on Feb 19, 2009, 2:18:00 PM

hi

im willing to adopt a pet what are the requirements???
    pls let me know

rhinoah.kyle@gmail.com

22. By ana0830 on Feb 22, 2009, 6:03:00 PM

pede mag tanung.

asan na po ba yung mga images ng pet na puedeng i adopt?
    pag pupunta po ba sa marikina on the spot i can adopt the pupps already?

23. By Marla on Feb 26, 2009, 3:32:00 PM

[Hi Sherwin, allow me to help you out...]

To those interested in adopting a cat or dog -- please view this page for the Adoption Procedure and other info: http://www.mefindhome.org/2006/06/adopting-from-paws.html

In summary:

1. Accomplish Adoption Application
    2. Interview by Adoption Counselor
    3. Meeting the pet at PARC
    4. On approval, payment of adoption fee *
    5. Spay/neuter of adopted pet (if not already done)
    6. Scheduling of pickup or delivery
    7. Signing of Adoption Agreement

* The Adoption fee is intended to help defray some of the cost of maintaining and preparing your pet for adoption.

The adoption application form can be found here: http://www.pitstopit.com/paws3/adoptionapplication.htm

Application form answers can be emailed to philpaws@yahoo.com

Some dogs up for adoption can be seen here: http://marlanicandro.multiply.com/photos/album/192/PAWS_Dogs_for_Adoption

For more questions, please call PAWS at tel.#475-1688.

24. By kissah on Apr 11, 2009, 12:40:00 AM

I really want to adopt a pet too and be a volunteer in PAWS but I live way too far in Luzon, I live in Davao and I hope that there would also be rehabilitation centers here... I'd just donate to PAWS then..

25. By Anonymous on Apr 29, 2009, 9:24:00 PM

hi! i really really want to attend the may 2 paws orientation, and become one of the volunteer. but the problem is.. i have no sense of direction. does anyone care to tell me the way to paws? hehe.. im from taft avenue, quirino manila. detailed by detailed. pls...

26. By Anonymous on May 21, 2009, 12:03:00 AM

Hello po. My kids and I adopted a stray female cat a year ago. Now that she has already given birth to 5 kittens (we still have 4 of them and 1 adopted male kitten) and again pregnant we are really having a hard time taking care of so many cats in the house. We love all our cats but we are not financially capable of caring for all of them but we do not want to just abandon our pets. Please help us find a caring home for our coming kittens. Please...

27. By Anonymous on Jul 1, 2009, 12:18:00 PM

A friend of my mom gave us a Japanese Spitz dog. We can't take care of it anymore because my sister has allergies so we decided to give it to our relatives in Batangas. We thought that she would be taken good care of, but we were wrong. She is thin already... Please help us find a home for our dog...

28. By Anonymous on Aug 2, 2009, 10:50:00 AM

hi just wanna know kung tumatnggp din po kyo ng mga dogs and puppy..kc d npo nmin kya alagaan ung iba..so kesa po i-abndon nmin..ask ko lng po kung ngaadopt din ang paws ng mga dogs n d n kya alagaan ng mga amo nila???

29. By Arlene on Aug 8, 2009, 12:16:00 PM

I got 9 cats. 3 are neutered already. I want to the other 6 for adoption. Can you help me?

30. By Anonymous on Aug 12, 2009, 9:55:00 PM

GOOD PM.....WE HAVE 2 DOGS HERE AN ADULT ROTT 5Y/0 AND A BASSETHOUND 2Y/0 BOTH GOOD BREEDER,WE CAN'T BRING THEM TO OUR NEW HOME BECAUSE THEY DON'T ALLOW DOGS IN THE PLACE,HONESTLY IT'S HARD FOR US TO LET THEM GO..BUT WE DON'T HAVE ANY OPTIONS FOR THEM...PLEASE HELP US FIND A HOME FOR THEM...THANK YOU

31. By Jay on Sep 4, 2009, 8:07:00 PM

Is there a PAWS adoption center in Metro Cebu area?

32. By Anonymous on Sep 15, 2009, 9:22:00 PM

Hi Sherwin,

Is there an affiliate PAWS shelter near Las Pinas City where I can volunteer?

Thanks!

33. By marlon on Sep 16, 2009, 5:03:00 PM

Hi I am interested adopt nicolas my pet dog died yesterday of old age

34. By Anonymous on Sep 29, 2009, 10:04:00 AM

hi! i am also interested in adopting a pet dog. how can i adopt? thanks!

35. By Anonymous on Oct 4, 2009, 11:21:00 PM

you need signage, big. there must be an artist who loves animals. they might do one for free. I would if I were in Manila but i'm in Davao. Why don't you ask around or send out flyers if you can't afford advertising. The media personalities might not mind plugging your need for a knock-out signage. Try plugging through them. Since you're near Ateneo they might have guys there who would be more than willing. I understand they now have a College of Fine Art?

36. By Kristine on Oct 14, 2009, 11:03:00 AM

Yeah, I agree. There are lots of animal lovers from Deviant Art who'd hopefully help PAWS, and I hope that social bloggers could help promote PAWS too.

37. By norie on Oct 18, 2009, 3:02:00 PM

I wanted to be part of your team...but i don't know how?.. =) i really love animals..
    please. gusto ko po talaga .. =) -norie tnx

38. By GEORGE on Oct 29, 2009, 12:18:00 AM

I AM AN ANIMAL LOVER NOT ONLY PET DOGS. I AM LOOKING FOR TWO SMALL DOGS OR TOY DOGS AS I LIVE IN AN APARTMENT & THE HOUSE RULE ALLOWS ONLY TOY DOGS.
    I AM 57 YEARS OLD. I LIVE WITH MY WIFE. ALL THE CHILDREN ARE EITHER STUDYING OR WORKING IN TAIWAN.
    GEORGE ACIDTRAILER2000@YAHOO.COM
    THANX

39. By Anonymous on Dec 30, 2009, 12:20:00 AM

hey! my friend lost his pet during ondoy.. ngayon ko lang nakita itong site na toh.
    yorkshire terrier/maltese po yung pet nya.. parang cream po yung color nya na may pagkagold.. taga JP RIZAL po sila.. baka po nakuha niyo.. inabot kasi sila sa loob ng bahay eh bigla nalang daw nawala sa bed nya yung aso nya ;(

40. By Anonymous on Mar 26, 2010, 2:41:00 AM

Hi, we have more than 14 cats including kittens, It's hard for me to give them away because they are so close to me but I can't take care all of them they deserve a place where they can be taken care of. It all started with just one stray cat that I adopted and they just keep on multiplying. I don't want to throw them away where can I bring them? I'm from bikol and I'm looking for an animal shelter like this here and can't find any. Can you help me please. I'll wait for a reply here. Thank you!

41. By Anonymous on Apr 11, 2010, 9:23:00 AM

my name is miela and im willing to adopt small dogs for my room to sleep with me anyone can give me a small breed,, thanks katabe lng sa pag tulog at kalaro ng dog kung poodle c cookie..sana my mka tulong small breeds only thanks

42. By anna on Jun 17, 2010, 3:20:00 PM

i want to adopt the cat kaya lang malayo ang home ko im from pampanga gusto ko kasi ng pet na cat actually kung pwede ko syang ampunin pangalawa na sya sa mga cat na naadopt ko na.

my emailadd: malamananna@gmail.com