Dogs, Ducks and the Philippine Duck Shooting Team

Posted by siyerwin on Thursday, January 17, 2008 at 11:16 PM

Below is a photo I found on the front page of Inquirer.net last week with the following caption: "BACKSEAT DRIVER. A pet dog balances on the backseat of a motorcycle as the driver weaves through heavy traffic on the Rosario Bridge on Ortigas Avenue, Pasig City. PHILIPPINE DAILY INQUIRER/IMEE BALANDRA (CONTRIBUTOR)"

Dog on a motorcycle in Ortigas road!
Made me laugh initially until I realized how nuts the dog owner must be to put that poor dog in such a perilous situation. Imagine the dog teetering on the motor bike while the driver weaved through that busy Ortigas traffic. All it takes is one tiny slip and that dog would have been hurt badly or worse.

Does the picture sum up the state of animal welfare in the Philippines?
---

Last week I received another disturbing email circulating online about some persons allegedly using puppies as bait for criminal activity. The email is quoted below:

Just a quick email to warn everyone of a new modus operandi that sadly involves dogs. I know all of us are animal lovers, but please have a good presence of mind too, lest be victimized by others.

My cousin was driving home to Antipolo when she noticed a group of men trying to hide in a darker more secluded portion of the street. The next moment, a man TOSSED A PUPPY IN FRONT OF HER CAR. It was obviously an attempt to make her brake and stop. She had no other choice than to run over the puppy and get away.

She was lucky she noticed that there were other men, and that a man had thrown the puppy into the street. If she hadn't, she would have stopped or slowed down to avoid the puppy, and who knows what may have happened.

[I have also heard of a similar modus involving a doll or figure, and pretending it's a baby/child]

It's sad that unscrupulous individuals have chosen to play with compassion of others. Let's all be aware of our surroundings at all times so not fall victim to these situations.

Have we sunk that low? What sort of world do we live in now where we are forced to choose running over a puppy (or a baby?) to save ourselves from criminals?
---

And now it's the ducks' turn to get shot at! After the recent massacre of cats in an affluent Makati subdivision, we now have another sorry news about our bemedaled and proud Philippine Shooting Team getting caught red-handed with piles and bundles of shotgunned Philippine Ducks- which unfortunately has a conservation status of "Vulnerable", which is a status just a breath away from "Endangered". There's a Philippine law banning these kinds of activities against such threatened species.

An Inquirer article by Juan Mercado states that the “Mere possession of these species, evidenced by their very own pictures, on their very own websites, is punishable” under Wildlife Resources Conservation and Protection Act.

And below is one of the incriminating evidence showing a certain Tet Lara taunting one of their unfortunate catch. More incriminating photos are shown in the blog of Ted, a very prolific blogger about anything animal welfare and currently my favorite duck-watcher. He eloquently expresses what I'm sure everyone in the animal welfare and conservation fronts are feeling and thinking right now about this sad, sad news.

Tet Lara of the Philippine Shooting Team Taunting a Philippine Duck
Read their amazingly lame denial here.
Read the Inquirer column by Juan Mercado here.

1. 6 comments: Responses to “ Dogs, Ducks and the Philippine Duck Shooting Team ”

2. By Chessbuff on Jan 18, 2008, 12:55:00 AM

That dog is amazing, balancing sideways when the other way might be easier...but maybe there isn't enough space. I don't know what to think of it. For all we know, the driver loves his dog immensely, but kinda weak on safety. I pray that all goes well for both of them. Can I use this photo on my blog?

Ted

3. By siyerwin on Jan 18, 2008, 12:53:00 PM

Exactly! was also confused on what to think of it. But the more I looked at the pic, the crazier it became. They were between a jeepney and a bus at that instant!

If it were me and I had no choice I would have found some way to strap the dog to me at my front. They do look that they've done it before and the dog might even be enjoying the ride!

Feel free to use the photo, Ted. Thanks!

4. By babybranny on Jan 19, 2008, 1:40:00 AM

i hate hunters! those duck pictures are so upsetting.

you might be interested to see wbcp's statement: http://amaranna.multiply.com/journal/item/85

nice post! and thanks for all your work on the adoption team; you definitely have my full support (and manual labor :P) on the SOS program :D

5. By babybranny on Jan 20, 2008, 7:21:00 PM

PS that girl is so F&%*ED! her pictures are everywhere. she's become like, the online hitler or lucius malfoy of animal welfare :P

imagine having your pic on a petition site!

serves them right.

6. By mar on Jan 21, 2008, 3:12:00 PM

i've seen them on my way to work a few weeks ago. i was very worried for the dog but he seems used to the travel. he seemed very confident. I find it sad because the driver might've thought it's cool that he's got a dog for a bike buddy. maybe the MMDA can be warned about this because it is also dangerous for other motorists when the dog loses balance or for those that are too worried to focus on the road. i hope that'll work so they could stop this guy. at least make it safe, diba?

7. By siyerwin on Jan 23, 2008, 10:26:00 PM

yes, i think the guy is just showing off his one of a kind dog. But one tiny mistake could be costly and I can't believe he's willing to take that chance. thanks, mar.