Scenes from the Shelter: The Cats Keep Waiting

Posted by siyerwin on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 at 12:30 PM

"The smallest feline is a masterpiece."
-Leonardo da Vinci

Good thing I was able to attend last Saturday's PAWS Christmas party at PARC. And while I brought my camera only to do a little photo-documentation of the event, I wasn't able to resist our feline friends' invitation. The light was amazing and I was rewarded with the following images that, to me, are testament to Mr. Da Vinci's famous quote (although he was referring to kittens).
Homeless cats at the shelterI love taking pictures of back lit subjects and I had a field day while these cats basked in the warm setting sun. I was ill prepared for the shoot because I was not able to bring my trusty tripod and made a lot of misses on account of me not having the steadiest of hands. But one good shot out of a hundred usually makes it all worthwhile.
Homeless cats at the shelterA couple of shelter cats catches the paparazzi in the act and gives him the look. Fortunately, no photographers were hurt in the making of this series. Homeless cats at the shelterThe newly-tiled cattery floor provides an interesting photo opportunity as it gives a ready fill light for back lit subjects. This cat was the star of that afternoon photo session.Homeless cats at the shelterAn interesting and somewhat sinister mood is created by some lens flaring (looks like fog on the image). The cats in the shelter are by no means sinister though. They're homeless cats waiting to be adopted. There are more than 80 of them right now. Homeless cats at the shelterEighty shouldn't be a lonely number. It should be more of a rowdy number but these cats are by no means rowdy. They're the loneliest group of 80 that I know.

Will these cats be watching the sunset within an enclosure of cold, welded iron and stone of the animal shelter all the days of their lives?

Please visit the animal shelter and take the cats home. Make adoption your first option.

1. 10 comments: Responses to “ Scenes from the Shelter: The Cats Keep Waiting ”

2. By babybranny on Dec 11, 2007, 8:55:00 PM

beautiful photos sherwin!

the cats look almost poetic.

oh, if only we could bring them all home.

3. By Chessbuff on Dec 11, 2007, 11:47:00 PM

Excellent photography. You certainly have the proverbial eye for it. Makes me want to take up photography again. Keep shooting.

4. By meekerz on Dec 12, 2007, 8:58:00 AM

gorgeous pics!!! hope i can join you next time! :)

5. By siyerwin on Dec 12, 2007, 9:38:00 AM

Liza, I think cats are exactly that. Poetry in motion. :)

Thanks, chessbuff! Yes, pick up that camera and shoot again! The cats are willing models! ;)

meekerz, thanks. Lika shoot tayo next time. ingat!

6. By babybranny on Dec 12, 2007, 2:53:00 PM

sherwin wanna do the feline adoption gallery project with me? it's gonna be difficult compared to the dogs, bec most of the cats don't have names yet (not to mention we have more than twice as much cats), so i think we'd have to be the ones to do that too. i'll gather all the admission files (hopefully they all have pics in them) & lets do it systematically sometime. let me know when! :) canine adoption gallery will be up by february (acc to our site designer), next na ang cats

7. By siyerwin on Dec 12, 2007, 8:31:00 PM

liza, sure. i might drop by PARC this saturday morning to get jasmine's story. let's talk about it if you're there as well.

8. By babybranny on Dec 21, 2007, 4:05:00 PM

is that saturday tomorrow? if yes, awrite!! :) see ya tomorrow :)

9. By siyerwin on Dec 24, 2007, 5:23:00 PM

i was there last last saturday, liza. pero i was only able to stay for less than an hour as I was pressed for time for another appointment. i was able to shoot celine (the dog), jaya, jorgia and jackie (i think) pero i'm not sure if the images will be good enough. hard to take pics when you're pressed for time. :) see you soon!

10. By Anonymous on May 8, 2008, 2:10:00 PM

How many cats && dogs are there in the shelter?

11. By siyerwin on May 8, 2008, 2:26:00 PM