Spay & Neuter: Myths & Facts

Posted by siyerwin on Monday, May 21, 2007 at 7:34 AM

Here's something I got from the Philippine Animal Welfare Society website. I do think there are still a lot of people out there who see spay&neuter as something as taboo for their beloved cats and dogs. They couldn't be more wrong:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Myth: A female cat or dog should have a litter before she is spayed.
Fact: The sooner you spay your female, the better her health will be in the future. As long as a kitten or puppy weighs more than 2 pounds and is 2 months old, he or she can be neutered or spayed. Many veterinarians are practicing perfectly safe early sterilization. The likelihood of developing mammary tumors or uterine infections increases the longer a female goes unspayed. In fact, female spayed before sexual maturity (6-9 months of age) has one-seventh the risk of an intact female of developing mammary cancer.
Myth: Spaying or neutering (sterilization) will alter my pet's personality.
Fact: Any slight change will be positive. Regardless of the age when spayed or neutered, your pet will remain a caring, loving and protective companion. Neutering will reduce the need to breed, and that has a calming effect on many animals. Both neutered male canines and felines tend to stop roaming and fighting and lose the desire to mark their territory with urine.
Myth: Companion animals will become fat and lazy if they are neutered.
Fact: Absolutely not! Lack of exercise and overfeeding make pets fat and lazy - not neutering. Your pet will not gain weight if you provide exercise and monitor food intake. Neutering is good for your pet, since sterilized pets tend to live an average of two to three years longer than unsterilized pets.
Myth: Sterilization is a dangerous and painful surgery for my pet.
Fact: Spaying and neutering are the most common surgeries performed on animals. With a minimal amount of home care, your pet will resume normal behavior in a couple of days.
Myth: Children should witness the miracle of birth.
Fact: Countless books and videos are available to teach your children about birth in a responsible manner. Letting your pet produce offspring you have no intention of keeping is teaching your children irresponsibility. Anyone who has seen an animal euthanized in a shelter for lack of a home knows the truth behind this dangerous myth.

For your spaying and neutering concerns, you may get in touch with PAWS through (email) philpaws [at] yahoo [dot] com or through (tel.) 475-1688.

For other organizations and establishments offering spay/neuter services, please check out my other post here.

1. 12 comments: Responses to “ Spay & Neuter: Myths & Facts ”

2. By Annabelle on May 21, 2007, 3:32:00 PM

Hi! I made a site for CARA to encourage adoption, so it's somewhat like yours. I added a link to your blog, and if you don't mind, could you do the same for mine? The address is http://choosecompassion.wordpress.com. We really need to get the word out about all these homeless animals. Thanks!

3. By siyerwin on May 21, 2007, 4:52:00 PM

Hello, annabelle!

I already added the site even before you asked. Thanks very much for creating it. i really wish those dogs and cats find home soon. I already love eddy, henry and lisa! ;-)

4. By ryan on May 28, 2007, 4:26:00 PM

hi there.. i want to help you guys in promoting your advocacy.. kindly let me know of any support that we can provide... we normally do fund raising events and gigs for different organizations.. kindly visit kikong-kalikot.blogspot.com or email me at ryanhonei@yahoo.com

keep up the good work!

5. By siyerwin on May 29, 2007, 4:48:00 PM

hank you very much, ryan! we might just take you up on your offer. though, i'm really not familiar with how these things work. eto ba yun mga "for the benefit of" gigs? got your email. will get you in touch with one of PAWS' directors.

thanks and see you around!

6. By Anonymous on Mar 7, 2008, 2:29:00 AM

good day po. my sister and i just checked your blog earlier and we love it very much. we decided to adopt a puppy if meron po for adoption. we are willing to process all of the papers needed. we hope for an urgent response. Thank you.

you can reach me thru laarnijunehcaro@yahoo.com.
    Godbless po sa PAWS.

7. By siyerwin on Mar 7, 2008, 9:09:00 AM

Hello, Laarni!

There were no puppies at the shelter last time (Mar 1) I dropped by the shelter. Why not consider adopting an adult dog? I've posted about the top 10 reasons why it's sometimes better to adopt adults rather than raising puppies and you may read them HERE if you still haven't.

Please don't hesitate to call up the shelter for more of your questions. Tel. 4751688. Look for Dr. Jeff Chua during Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

Thanks, Laarni! Hope to see you at the shelter!

8. By Pat on May 7, 2008, 2:59:00 AM

I took my 2 1/2 yr old cockapoo male in to be neutered and he died after sedation. He was healthy. I now am waiting for a mmedical report.I was doing the right thing. I don't think so. I am so tramatized by this.

9. By siyerwin on May 7, 2008, 1:01:00 PM

Hello, Pat. So sorry to hear about your dog. Where did you bring your dog to be spayed/neutered? Did they perform any background tests and inform you of the risks of surgery?

The following is the advice I got from PAWS regarding your case:

"Any surgery has risks. The important thing is to do the necessary background checks so that you make sure that you are not leaving your pets at the hands of an incompetent or unlicensed vet. To minimize risks, go for blood tests and anesthesia tests on your pet prior to operation..

Some pets may die at the operating table because they already have an undiagnosed illness (not fit to be operated on) - which will be ruled out by the blood tests - or because they are allergic to the anesthesia used - which will be ruled out by the anesthesia testing."

10. By honeyleen on Jul 24, 2008, 11:04:00 AM

Millions of animals are killed each year because there are just not enough home for them. Many of them are offspring of family pets. You can help decrease pet overpopulation by simply SPAYING/NEUTERING UR PET. Not only does this minimizes aggression and temperament problems, it also decreases territorial marking (spraying), the desire to roam in search of a mate and risks for cancer (uterine, mammary & protatic) as the animal ages.
    Let us all remember that animals are not disposable. They are a lifetime commitment. Pls. do not be a part of a society that exploits this beautiful species.

11. By siyerwin on Jul 28, 2008, 12:35:00 PM

Amen to that, honeyleen. Thanks for helping us spread the word about spaying/neutering!

12. By grace on Dec 10, 2008, 12:27:00 AM

i am from cebu and i adopted my first kitten almost 6 years back that was handed to me by my niece after insistent pleading to keep it since the dad wants to throw it out of the house.

the kitten turned out to be the funniest pet ive ever seen and i pampered him with love and care and he became my master(unfortunately i end up being the slave lolz.

it wasnt long that i end up adopting more than one, at the moment i am caring for 28 cats inside my home. some i rescued out of danger from the streets, some left at my door or window ... large part of what i make in my very small business i spend on the care of my cats. i dont feed them leftovers, i buy them cat kibbles, big litter boxes and take them to vets when someone is sick.i have neutered all my adult males whenever there is free clinic provided by the local pet shops or vet school. my problems are my females, there's no free spay for the females and its too expensive if you want the local vet clinics to perform it. so i hope and pray that there would be a free spay service here in my city for my females as i have 18 of them!

13. By siyerwin on Dec 16, 2008, 12:54:00 PM

hi, grace. I made a really long reply to your post above but it disappeared when I published it. *sigh*

Can you please email me at sherwin @ mefindhome.org?

Thanks! Those cats are extremely lucky to have you as their human.