Sleepy Susan: Sleeping homelessness away

Posted by siyerwin on Sunday, April 15, 2007 at 3:42 PM

This cat is one of the longer-staying cats at PARC. Susan, the sleepy cat, has hung in there by sleeping off the loneliness of shelter life. I first took her pictures July of last year. She was sleeping then. I took her pictures again last March and, well, she was again off to kitty dreamland by the time i started snapping.

It makes you wonder, doesn't it? What do cats dream about?

An answer to this question was provided by one of my all-time favorite stories written by Neil Gaiman in his Sandman comic book series. In the story, called "A Dream of a Thousand Cats", it was told that cats were originally the dominant creatures of the world instead of man. Men were merely the staple diet of cats and were much smaller than them.

Somehow, men were able to reverse the situation and claim the rule of Earth by dreaming about it all at the same time because, apparently, all it takes is a thousand individuals dreaming about the same thing at the same time to make that dream a reality.

So, to get back to world domination, all the cats had to do was dream about it at the same time and we're all cat chow once again. The challenge, however, is in getting a thousand cats to agree on one thing and do it at the same time. :-)

I do think Susan's on our side though and that she's not dreaming of world domination. She's just dreaming of finding home.

Let's not keep her from that dream.

Adopt her and watch this dozing beauty do what she does best.

Susan is spayed and is around 3 years of age. She was abandoned at the shelter.

Please tell your friends about Susan, the sleepy cat.

The last image below was taken last March. Please note the change in her appearance. She didn't look as good as she did last year. It's sad that she may no longer be coping well in the shelter environment. Please take Susan, the sleepy cat, home...

Email me at find.home [at] yahoo.co.uk or call up PARC at 475-1688 for your inquiries. Click here for the adoption procedure.

Thank you very much for reading.

1. 18 comments: Responses to “ Sleepy Susan: Sleeping homelessness away ”

2. By grace on Apr 16, 2007, 11:26:00 PM

nakakadepress. gandang-ganda ako kay susan when i first saw her pic. now i can really see the difference, sa fur pa lang.

3. By siyerwin on Apr 17, 2007, 8:08:00 AM

Honga.

Angel, the one-eyed, is another sad case. ang payat payat na nya last time i saw her. these two cats, along with Alfie and Jeff, were the first cats i fell in love with when i started volunteering. ngayon, halos di ko na kilala lahat ng mga cats sa cattery except for a few other veterans (including 1-2-3) who are hanging in there for dear life, literally.

Sana meron makapansin sa catslair. It's odd though. I sent the blog updates to catslair pero di sya lumalabas... yahoo on the blink again?

4. By Anonymous on Apr 18, 2007, 4:45:00 PM

how old is susan? I'm about to go there at PAWS this week and perhaps find a cat to take with me. My precious muffin was stolen three days ago and I cried so hard..feeling ko part of the family died. My mom told me that someone must have got interested kasi kamukhang kamukha nya si garfield..

btw, let me know how old is susan?
    Doreen here - 0915 315 6643

5. By siyerwin on Apr 18, 2007, 10:40:00 PM

hi, doreen. sorry to hear about your muffin. there's a chance that she just went sightseeing and would return to you. cats are known to do that. especially when in heat.

will send you an sms about susan.

thanks a lot for wanting her. she's been waiting quite a while.

6. By grace on Apr 19, 2007, 11:15:00 PM

sherwin, lumabas sa catslair yung blog updates mo. or second try na ba yun?

doreen please please please adopt susan. and please let us know if you did.

sherwin sana may mga ganun din dito sa mefindhome. happy stories of humans meeting the cats and dogs of their dreams :)

7. By Anonymous on Apr 20, 2007, 11:02:00 PM

hey sherwin, its me charms. hope you still remember me... My gosh. this post and you're comment here about angel, the veteran cats, and all the other orphans made me shed a tear. This is so SAD. I'm serious. If only i didn't have so many cats at home now who i am also rehabilitating and trying to rehome,-- i would adopt as many as i can. :,(

There has to be another way to get people to adopt the kitties at parc. To speed up the adoption rate. i have been racking my brains for an idea.

Thank you for your dedication with this beautiful blog. We need more people like you. Wow. My heart hurts with a mental picture of all the kitties sitting at parc staring out into oblivion.

SIGH.

8. By siyerwin on Apr 21, 2007, 1:25:00 AM

grace, i did attempt to do that when Jeff got adopted pero i'm having a hard time doing it regularly since it involves some journalistic skills of getting in touch with the adopters and keeping up with current events. so i just prioritize putting up adoption pleas. tsaka as you may notice, writing these things is a bit of a stretch for me. mas magaling pa magsulat si oreo sa kin eh. :-)

yes, charms, it gets really hard everytime you realize how helpless we are most of the time (every visit to the shelter means heartaches indeed). there's just not as many people who'd consider adopting cats as there are who'd want to adopt dogs. if we're having trouble "adopting out" dogs, more so with cats.

i guess all we can do is reach as many people as we can and hope and pray that the lessons we teach get through to people and effect some kind of change. so i hope we're all in it for the long haul.

thanks, charms, for taking in orphan kitties.

see you around.

9. By grace on Apr 24, 2007, 10:14:00 AM

baka those who adopted can share their stories here! hint hint :)

did doreen adopt susan?

10. By siyerwin on Apr 27, 2007, 11:26:00 PM

grace, hindi pa siguro. she hasn't gotten back to me yet...

11. By Anonymous on May 2, 2007, 5:52:00 PM

hey doreen here.. Im sorry I wasnt able to visit the PARC. I got sick and just had to catch up with work. I'm supposed to go there today, unfortunately I just finished running errands and their office is until 5pm only.

I will try to go there tomorrow as early as I can so I can take a look at Susan. Been sad these past few weeks bcoz my precious muffin is gone. I still can't get over it coz he's my baby talaga.. I just hope that whoever got my cat would just take good care of my malambing na muffin.

Will text you syerwin if I have visited the place already. I still have you number with me. Thanks

12. By siyerwin on May 4, 2007, 7:27:00 AM

Thanks, Doreen. Have you been to PARC?

13. By Gado on May 7, 2007, 7:10:00 PM

Pano ba maging volunteer? Taga-Iloilo ako pero dito ako ngayon Diliman.

14. By siyerwin on May 7, 2007, 10:08:00 PM

gado, first thing you can do is join PAWS' yahoogroup to get informed on when the next volunteer orientation will be. please go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/whatsuppaws

You may also visit PARC during your free time.

Thank you!

15. By dorsy on May 11, 2007, 5:46:00 AM

SUSAN UPDATE: I was able to adopt Susan May 9. She's indeed not in good condition. she's thin, had bruises (caused by catfight), some skin allergies and a cataract on her right eye. The kind vet did prescribed me drops that I could use on Susan but I havent bought it yet bec sumthing happpened. I though Susan left since she's getting curious of the new environment. I let her stay inside the house that night & the next day she's nowhere to be found. I looked outside & even asked for the neighbors but sadly they never saw her & thought where could she possibly sneaked out bec. our windows are all screened. I dont know what to do still hoping to find her but I have to leave for work. Around 10pm mom texted me that Susan was in our mastersbedroom and ran downstairs. It was a sigh of relief knowing she's still there. I just got home from work (4.30am) and called her.. its been one long whole day she didnt get any food and water & when I gave her one you can see how hungry and thirsty Susan is.
    It may take sometime for her to get used to us. Sometimes is still hesitant to approached other members of the household but she's ok now I hope much better soon.

Susan is very malambing and little by little starts to play and purr around w/me. Will share pics later on.. ;)

16. By dors on May 12, 2007, 5:32:00 PM

pics of Susan..

17. By siyerwin on May 17, 2007, 5:48:00 PM

Dear Doreen,

The happy thing is that I still can't get over the fact that Susan has been adopted :-) and that I can't recall seeing Susan interacting that way with a human. I mean, WOW!

Thank you, thank you! More pics please! :-)

18. By grace on May 20, 2007, 1:53:00 PM

doreen! just saw susan's pics in your flickr account. siyempre naiiiyak ako doon sa pic na nagtatago siya at natatakot. but i'm confident she's now comfortable and settled. thank you so much for giving her a forever home. hope you share more pics.

sherwin, i'd just like to tell you again that i think sobrang nakatutulong ang blog mo. i notice that when you talk about a particular cat or dog, mas likely siyang ma-adopt. i really appreciate what you're doing kahit di ako taga-PAWS :)

19. By siyerwin on May 21, 2007, 4:46:00 PM

grace, thanks. though i'd be happier if angel, 123, mario and emil gets adopted. i'm just hoping more people like doreen stumble into the site.