Amazing Kate

Posted by siyerwin on Wednesday, August 02, 2006 at 1:00 AM

Seeing Kate for the first time was almost mind-blowing for me. My brain rejected what my eyes saw: a kitten hopping and bouncing around on only three legs! It was like one of those CG animated movies that we sometimes find ourselves marveling at; like something unreal made to appear so fascinatingly real.

Kate, by all means, is real and is indeed a very fascinating creature. Her limping and hobbling don't stop her from being the curious and playful kitten you would expect a kitten to be. Hundreds of my shots were not framed well and were generally unfocused and contained some kind of motion blur. She just kept on playing and sidling up and rubbing up to me. Kate was a whirlwind on three legs!

Kate is starving for love. You'll learn this fact immediately when you meet her. Her disability will not slow her down in giving you the affection most homeless cats give with reckless abandon. Check out her video below and I'm sure you'll agree 100% with how amazing Kate is!

Look, 'ma! Three paws! No camera trick on this image.

One of my favorite Kate images. It wasn't framed well though as I was holding the camera with only one hand. The other hand Kate's trying to jump!

Kate's eyes are not well. One of them's cloudy and was perhaps injured as a result of her inability to keep perfect balance. All the more reason why she needs to get out of the shelter environment.

A friendly moment for Kate and a shelter pup.

Below is a short video clip (shot and put together by another PAWS volunteer) to show you guys how cute and unique this shelter amputee kitten is. I just know she will touch your heart.

The video above is around 3mb. A lighter version is provided in the link below:

Video hosting by YouTube. Please email me if the videos and links aren't working. I'm a youtube newbie.

Kate badly needs our help and the urgency of it is quite obvious. The shelter environment, while good enough for most cats, will not be very good for her. She needs a good home to nurse her eyes, among other things, to sparkling health.

Adopt Kate and keep her from getting further injured. She gets free consultation from PARC's resident veterinarian, Dr. Henry.

Tell your friends about Kate by forwarding this post to anyone you know who might be able to help. If you have websites of your own, I'm sure Kate will love you for telling your readers about her. Link to me.find.Home!

-----------------------------------

The rescue of Kate

Below is an account of the rescue of Kate, the three-legged kitten, written by her rescuer Fatima Reyes who's also a PAWS volunteer. You may thank Fatima for her generosity and admirable compassion through the commenting link right after this post. I will make sure she gets them. Thanks for reading.

The kitten is about I think 4-5 months. I went out of our gate to leave for a meeting when I saw some kids looking at something on the ground. Since I was in a hurry I decided not to investigate…then when I was near the exit to our subdivision…I remembered I left my wallet behind so I went back to get it. When I arrived at our gate, I notice that the kids are all gone but there is this small black and white furry thing among the garbage at the side of the road. To my horror, I saw it was a kitten and its front paw was mangled beyond recognition. It was barely alive so I took it inside our house. I decided to postpone my meeting since I thought that the kitten will not make it if I will still have to take it to the vet in the afternoon. I called up Anna who very kindly advice me to take the kitten to the Marikina vet so I drove there and got lost since I don’t know the place. Finally I got there and was accommodated very kindly too by Dr. May. The kitten was touch and go at that time, it was so pale. Dr. May bandaged the mangled paw and cleaned the kitten who was whimpering in pain all the way. I monitored the kitten’s condition by sending text messages to Dr. May, and finally was informed that the kitten will pull through but will lose its front leg and is also blind in eye. I visited the kitten again and was ecstatic to see how alive and lively it was. I really admire the kitten. I would have wanted for the kitten to live with me so I am fostering it. However, our place is small and I am kind of worried about its safety here so I am also open for it to be adopted…

-Fatima Reyes

1. 10 comments: Responses to “ Amazing Kate ”

2. By kit on Aug 3, 2006, 9:29:00 AM

i want this cat. :`c
    ooooh... just breaks my heart.

3. By siyerwin on Aug 3, 2006, 12:31:00 PM

kit, go adopt her na! i know 100% she'll be loved in your home! email me privately if you need to know how to go about the adoption process. thanks.

4. By haze on Aug 4, 2006, 2:44:00 PM

Awww... Lovely cat...

5. By Nicah on Aug 5, 2006, 11:28:00 AM

wow... she's gorgeous! and a great jumper too! say "hi" to her for me please kuya Sherwin!

6. By fortuitous faery on Aug 7, 2006, 5:29:00 AM

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7. By fortuitous faery on Aug 7, 2006, 5:31:00 AM

seeing kate is heart-breaking.

i once rescued a kitten from the streets whose two hind legs were crippled, so that she dragged half of her body around when she moved from one place to another.

may someone be kind enough to welcome kate to their home.

your pictures give so much character and life to the individual homeless pets.

8. By siyerwin on Aug 13, 2006, 11:54:00 PM

hazel, nicah, fortuitious faery, thanks for all the kind words. sorry for the late response. been under the weather and missed work for two days. am on a mad scramble to catch up. :)

kate's in very good hands right now. she's being temporarily spared from shelter life because she's being fostered by her rescuer Fatima, at least until someone steps forward to take her to her "forever" home.

let's keep wishing her the best.

big thanks!

9. By fortuitous faery on Aug 15, 2006, 10:37:00 AM

god bless fatima. i'm sure the angels in kitty heaven are smiling down upon her.

10. By Anonymous on Dec 6, 2006, 6:20:00 PM

I'm happy that Kate is finally adopted.

11. By Anonymous on Jan 8, 2007, 3:57:00 PM

hi sherwin,

i'm very happy to let you know that kate is doing well. gwen and heidi fostered her during the holidays, and last friday, i finally picked her up at vets in practice to take her to her new forever home :). we had complete bloodwork done on her to make sure she's completely healthy, and she's due to go back today for her vaccination and deworming. there are still a lot of bald patches on her skin but luckily she's negative for ear mites/bacterial/fungal infection, baka daw it's just boredom licking/scratching, or maybe sa thyroid - we'll find out later sa blood test results. her eyes are ok, genetic lang daw na makapal ang 3rd eyelid nya kaya it looks a little funny.

she's so big na ha, i think she turned 1 yr old this wk, kung tama ang estimate ko :p

the adopter is actually my boss's dad, tito ronnie mangahas, but my other boss decided dito na sya i-keep sa office. so she's gonna be joining the other 13 office cats and 1 dog (guess who's the 13th cat?? ex-foster kitten violet! my boss decided to adopt her na rin hehe - do you remember her, prada's "inmate" in the adoption booths during events? :)). wow pinag-aagawan si kate ni tito ronnie & ng office - in demand na si kate! hehe. tito ronnie decided to adopt her bec he said he always thinks about her, & always reads her feature her in mefindhome. di sya pinapatulog sa gabi! hehehe

she's quarantined right now in 1 of our file rooms, until her blood test results come out today - we have to be sure kasi na she's disease-free before mixing her with the other office cats. she's super makulit na and very malambing :)

thanks so much sherwin for doing this beautiful beautiful feature on her in mefindhome, i know in my heart it's what got her adopted :D

take care,