A Tale of Two Dogs

Posted by siyerwin on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 at 3:35 PM

The Blind Dog

He almost ran out of luck and he appeared as if he knew and accepted that. He was blind but in his eyes was a glimmer of recognition for what he probably thought to be a forthcoming doom. I found him at PARC looking that way: resigned to his fate, with head bowed down, weak. He probably still didn't know, on account of his unseeing eyes, that he was already among friends and that he was at last safe; that he was no longer being sold to the dining table because a kind-hearted man already paid one hundred pesos for him and had brought him to PARC.

I arrived at PARC and saw him curled up on the floor being groomed by volunteers, who had christened him Joyce. He was giving out tiny cries of pain while the combs ran through his disheveled fur and lesioned skin. He licked at his wounds wondering perhaps at the attention he seemed to be getting. He had lived a long life of neglect and pain and his wounds and eyes were testament to that. He could no longer see but somehow his eyes, unseeing as they were, still could stare into one's heart and manage to pierce through.

Facts we know about Joyce:
1. Joyce is male.
2. Joyce is blind.
3. Joyce is having skin/fur problems (the vet hasn't checked on him yet as of this posting).
4. Joyce is weak and exhibits a general lack of enthusiasm, among other things, like nourishment and exercise. One week at PARC and I'm hoping that would change.
5. Joyce looks middle aged.
6. Joyce needs one more stroke of luck: a guardian, a friend who would love him despite his handicap.

He needs more attention than what the volunteers and overworked staff of PARC can give him, because of his condition. This dog needs an emergency adoption so to speak.

Let's turn this dog's fortune around! Help Joyce find home! Please call (02)4751688 or email me: find.home @ yahoo.co.uk (I would love to hear from you)

The Broken-Hearted Pup

They promised to come back for her and take her home but they never did. This weekend I arrived at PARC and was told that Nicole, the pup, was not around. She had been brought to the Marikina Veterinary Clinic and there she was (and is still) confined. Apparently, she has an enlarged heart. Nicole, the adorable pup, the poor thing, literally broke her heart waiting.

Nicole needs an adoptive home more than ever as the stressful conditions in the shelter would naturally be detrimental to her well-being. More images of her may be found here.

Facts we know about Nicole:

1. Nicole was born at the shelter and is around 3-4 months old.
2. Nicole has an enlarged heart.
3. Nicole needs a loving home to live out the rest of her life in.

Nicole needs more attention than what the volunteers and overworked staff of PARC can give him, because of her condition.

Let us not keep her waiting anymore. Please call (02)4751688 or email me: find.home @ yahoo.co.uk (I would love to hear from you).

You may also call up the Marikina Veterinary Clinic at (02)9970759 and ask about Nicole, the pup from PAWS with an enlarged heart. Ask for Dr. May.

Please forward this post to anyone you know who might be able to help. Click on that envelope thingie at the end of this post, just beside the commenting links.

Salamat.

1. 14 comments: Responses to “ A Tale of Two Dogs ”

2. By Anonymous on Jun 14, 2006, 2:03:00 PM

hi there! poor nicole. is she a lab? was just wondering... what is the implication of her having an enlarged heart? does it mean visits to her vet for the rest of her life? will she ever have a normal dog life? i'm interested but i'm worried that it might be too costly to adopt her...

3. By siyerwin on Jun 15, 2006, 12:42:00 AM

hello, there.

yes, it would certainly entail some costs because I'm told that she'll need a special diet. but dont panic yet. i will get in touch with the vet to learn more and go back to you, kindly leave me your contact details. or you may email me at find.home @ yahoo.co.uk

thanks for expressing interest in adopting nicole. She's not a lab, btw.

4. By Gigi on Jun 15, 2006, 2:17:00 PM

Ay Joyce is so cute. I wish I had lots of money (and in the country) so I can adopt him. I would change his name though.

5. By Anonymous on Jun 15, 2006, 4:43:00 PM

Sigh.. I wish I had more room at home to put them in. I'd love to take Nicole, but I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to care for her as much as she needs.

I was planning on volunteering; could you give me an idea about how a day of volunteer work usually goes? I plan to spend my weekends volunteering instead of just stewing at home with nothing to do except face the computer.

Thanks.

hazel (http://switchbitch.motime.com)

6. By askalfreak on Jun 15, 2006, 6:02:00 PM

if i can only adopt them all. i have two dogs who seem not to get along. but my heart aches for Joyce. my heart says i want to adopt him but our apartment is small, and my "owner" Bitoy is very possesive. what problems would this entail should i adopt joyce?

7. By askalfreak on Jun 16, 2006, 7:42:00 PM

Goodbye Joyce... You will always be HAPPY for me...I may not have the chance to adopt you or even meet you but you will forever be in my memories... You will be the only dog I'll ever name HAPPY... I wish I could've come sooner... I wish I could've given you the overflowing love in my heart...

8. By siyerwin on Jun 17, 2006, 12:31:00 AM

thank you all for your comments. Even though i asked him not to go anywhere, Happy, the blind dog, had to go away for good. i'm sure he felt loved in his last few days. i'm just sorry because he was probably in pain most of the time.

Gigi, thanks. you're correct. he was really beautiful.

Hazel, i posted on your blog.

Askalfreak, so sorry. HAPPY would have loved you back so dearly.

9. By stg on Jun 17, 2006, 11:57:00 PM

i found this blog through the Friendster Bulletin Board that my friend posted a while ago. i already have 3 pet cats here at home but i really dream of being a volunteer of PAWS someday. i'll link this in my blog, alright? i hope that these cute pets will find their home soon. God bless! :)

10. By Anonymous on Jun 19, 2006, 1:06:00 PM

Hi! Linked you. =)

I'll be volunteering in July, as soon as I free up my weekends. Been asking people to visit your blog, though. Even had one warm up to the idea of adopting both Joyce and Nicole. Too bad Joyce is gone now...

- haze

11. By siyerwin on Jun 20, 2006, 9:58:00 PM

thanks, stg and hazel. see you at paws then. there are more adoptable cats and dogs at parc. the next paws orientation will be on july 1. hope you could attend that one. bring your friend. :)

12. By Anonymous on Sep 14, 2006, 3:49:00 PM

joyce/happy, have fun in doggie heaven..honored to have met you
    -liza

13. By liza on Sep 14, 2006, 3:52:00 PM

nicole is back at parc!

still has a heart problem tho :(

14. By siyerwin on Sep 15, 2006, 7:33:00 AM

nicole is at parc right now? i wanna see her! thanks for the info. someone's asking about her.

15. By Anonymous on Aug 16, 2007, 1:35:00 PM

the 2 dogs touched my heart...... kng pwd ko lng clang ampunin gagawin ko n.... can you pls. txt me 09228879093 you can call me balot.